cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How's the quality of the new Rockwood Popups

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
I might be in the market for a 2018. Not sure if I'll keep my travel trailer or not.

I'm honestly sick and tired of all the upkeep and maintenance, and the high costs of these services. I'm dumping about $1,000 in preventive and maintenance costs per year, in addition to the expensive plates, and insurance costs. I figure I'd save about $1,500/year going back to a Pop Up and not have the inconveniences of appliances crappying out when they're needed the most.

Had issues with my refrigerator, water heater, and CO/Propane monitors that I all fixed myself after getting parts. If I had a shop do it, I could see the cost being around another $1,000 for everything.

In my area, only dealers are for Rockwood and Jayco. Not fond of the Jayco design and hate that the lift system is hidden in cabinets and such, where it can't be inspected and repaired easily.

Had a 2005 Rockwood 2290 and it was a huge piece of **** which Forest River offered almost no support while it was in warranty. I ended up trading it off to a Starcraft Pop Up within a year.

So I'm really not wanting either but I'm unwilling to drive 2 or 3 hours to buy another brand and get it serviced by that dealer if any warranty claims come up.

So I'm thinking about Rockwood but with major reservation and caution.

Thanks for you opinions.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.
22 REPLIES 22

Stumps
Explorer
Explorer
Mike Up wrote:

Camping wasn't suppose to be this expensive. It's suppose to be a cheap and fun activity for the whole family, but almost every activity is cheaper than camping with a family anymore. And most campgrounds are so hard to get a spot anymore, I rarely get to go as I just can't reserve months in advance, working men take the time when it comes, we don't take the time first then not work.:)

Mike -

FWIW - in my extensive searching last year I found that Coachmen Clippers/VIkings had some nice features and seem to be at least as well made as everyone else. I know that may mean driving further to find a dealer, but may be worth checking out. In your area and over into Michigan there may be a few dealers.
popups sold. searching for my next camper

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
Hum, I thought the Jayco would be better but I'll have to inspect one myself. What concerns me is that the 2018 looks to have done away with the bunk privacy curtains which is a big no for the wife.

I still have nightmares about the 2005 Rockwood 2290 and how it's floor wood swelled where water got in near the door frame, how the dinette panels cracked at the bottom and swelled from floor movement as it wasn't screwed to the frame properly, how none of the window drapes were wide enough to cover the windows for privacy, how the cabinet shelves were put in upside down, how the floor was cut and how the factory pasted in a square with glue which came up, and the refrigerator electrical issues, and the damaged/cut tarp skirt that turned into a living hell trying to get replaced, and the constant customer service issues or lack of support in getting these warranty issues corrected.

Forest River really haunts me but the Jayco lacks some really elementary features like bunk privacy clothes, silverware drawer, doors on the dinette booths for easy access to storage, and how low the stove is as it's not on a flip over galley. Just cheap things that are unforgivable for such a overblown price tag. That's whats got me looking at Rockwood again, against my better judgement. Or maybe it's best to just hang up on the idea of camping all together unless it's in a tent.

Camping wasn't suppose to be this expensive. It's suppose to be a cheap and fun activity for the whole family, but almost every activity is cheaper than camping with a family anymore. And most campgrounds are so hard to get a spot anymore, I rarely get to go as I just can't reserve months in advance, working men take the time when it comes, we don't take the time first then not work.:)
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
double post
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Mike Up wrote:
PAThwacker wrote:
I saw first hand new Jayco camping last season and they were garbage.

Why do you say that? What did you find that you didn't like?

Hi Mike,
The appearance, fit and finish 20 feet from me looked borderline pathetic. On my 2007 Jayco 1206 its aluminum panel sides, and practically bomb proof. The sidewalls and tents looked like nothing I ever seen in pups and hybrids over the years. Vacuum bonded panels, extreme light duty tent fabrics and the door looked cheap as well. Not sure which model it was but it was brand spanking new and looked cheap as hell.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
PAThwacker wrote:
I saw first hand new Jayco camping last season and they were garbage.

Why do you say that? What did you find that you didn't like?

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
The appliances were additional costs that weren't bad at about $150 in parts. The cost is the seam sealing which I can't really do because of bad knees. The cost to seal the unit has been between $700 - $1000/year in addition to anything else.

I never had those type of expenses with the Pop Up. There were far fewer things to go wrong. Since I barely camp anymore, paying these outrageous costs makes no sense. A pop up sealing can be done by me, and is so easy to store and fix.

I guess Forest River products are still **** and Jayco Pop Ups are unreasonably priced. I don't know, maybe I'll just throw my hat in and uses tents for the few short weekend trips per year that I go.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some things to consider.

Construction and quality control has not improved since 2005. If anything it's worse.
We ordered from Rockwood and refused to purchase t he particular unit shipped due to over 5K in factory defects. The 5K number was put together by the dealer and all approved by Rockwood. We opted for having another unit built which was much better, but far from perfect.

Forest River has seen fit to no longer offer their optional 2nd year warranty under the guise of government regulation. Believe what you will. I for one am not buying the reason.

Up until 2016 Rockwood listed 4 warranty/ service representatives. In 2016 despite increased sales they scaled that back to 1.

Our 2017 Rockwood Roo is acceptable after 2 seasons worth of modifications and repairs done myself. If I wanted to jump through the hoops and wait times for warranty service It would of been in the shop more than our yard or the campground without a doubt.

Talking or getting resolution with anything from Rockwood or Forest River is an exercise in frustration. Just having someone actually respond or return a call or email feels like a win. Don't expect much help however unless it's initiated and pushed by the dealer.

We had a 2010 Palomino popup purchased new (also Forest River). It was perhaps a bigger POS than your 05 Rockwood and literally fell apart during the first season. Ended up dumping it too. I blame myself for going down the Forest River road again 7 years after with the Rockwood. I will not make that mistake again
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
My 2010 flagstaff 625d was a piece of garbage. I doubt the 2018 are any better. I saw first hand new Jayco camping last season and they were garbage.