cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jerky while towing

Npdchief07
Explorer
Explorer
I am towing a Wildwood with an F150. The Wildwood is 4600 pounds. I made sure before buying I would be well within my capacity for both towing and payload. I have only been out 4 times with it and most were about an hour drive except for a six hour drive to Gatkinburg.

Sometimes when I am towing it is really jerky. Other times I don't even notice it back there. We always travel with relatively the same amount of gear. I always hook it up the same. I did notice when I push the tow button on the 150 it gets worse.

Any ideas on the problem. I have a friction sway bar. Could having that turned too tight cause it?
20 REPLIES 20

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
What roads were you towing on....cement highways with joints are notorious for jerky, bouncy ride with travel trailers...

Sometimes called porpoising.

X2 easy to check too. Just slow down or speed up and see if the jerking/bouncing changes as you go over the joints. If the jerking is as you maintain constant speed, accelerate, slow, and brake then likely the hitch but if only when braking the brake controller.
Turret Class traveler

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
I would go back to the basics, the beginning.

Make sure the trailer has about 12% to 14% tongue weight.

Ensure the WD hitch is correctly set up and you are at 100% FALR. Verify this at the CAT scale.

Consider changing the shocks on the rear of the truck. I like and use Bilstein 5100's.

Do all this and report back. In other words it's helpful to have all the basics in a known configuration, then if there is still a problem, you can start changing things one parameter at a time until you find the problem and solution.

Hope this helps.

Npdchief07
Explorer
Explorer
It is an eaz lift elite hitch. With weight distribution and friction sway bar

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
What roads were you towing on....cement highways with joints are notorious for jerky, bouncy ride with travel trailers...

Sometimes called porpoising.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Farm_Camp
Explorer
Explorer
What Dutchmen said. And you didnโ€™t specify what hitch you are using. That might help โ€œusโ€ help you.

One thing that happened to me once - my hitch Ball came loose. I started noticing something was amiss and started really looking over my setup. I paid no attention to the ball at first, but finally I saw that it must have moved and got a hold of it. Sure enough I could move the dang thing with two fingers! Shame on me and lesson learned. Visited a friendly local RV dealer and they had one of their service guys get it tightened back at no charge. Now I check it and the other parts a LOT more closely at every hitchup.

Also not mentioned: You donโ€™t happen to use a sleeve in your receiver by any chance? I doubt it but thatโ€™s another source of slop.
TV: 2010 F250 XLT 4X4 SC SB 5.4L 3.73 - "The Blue Monster" (2013-2018) Traded at 100K
TV: 2017 F250 XLT 4X4 CC SB 6.7L PD 3.31 - "The Silver Streak"
TT: 2014 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU

Our Story...
Places we've camped

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If there is movement of the hitch shaft inside the receiver, you may experience some jerking. If the hitch pin through your receiver is even a. It smaller in diameter than the hole it slides into, this small amount of slop can feel like jerking when first starting or braking. If those holes begin to wear also, you eilm experience jerking too. No much you can do about the slop except find a better fitting pin.