cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Keystone Bullet Model 261RBS ??

FedMill
Explorer
Explorer
Just joined the forum. I just retired and looking at purchasing the subject Rv. Can anyone chime in that has the same or similar Keystone and tell me your overall satisfaction with it ? I know its not the Cadillac of Travel Trailers but does not come with the price tag of a Cadillac. Plan on buying in a couple of months and I have looked at many online and at a few dealerships. My GCVWR is 12,800 on my 2019 F150 Screw so I definitely want to stay at or below it. This particular Rv would put me around 12,500lbs loaded and maybe less depending on what I stack the Trailer and bed with.

Thanks
Joe
12 REPLIES 12

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
FedMill wrote:
54/5500 Dry, I will keep it at approx 6700 lbs wet/loaded to haul. That leaves me with 6100 to play with. 670/or less Tongue Weight and I have about 500 for cargo/people. (Will loaf truck bed light) Iโ€™ll make it work legally,,,

The brochure dry weight is not going to be reality.
For example, my 21โ€™ camper was about 300# over the brochure weight.
It would be better to figure 12.5% tongue weight than 10%. Certainly not less.
Just food for thought.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

FedMill
Explorer
Explorer
54/5500 Dry, I will keep it at approx 6700 lbs wet/loaded to haul. That leaves me with 6100 to play with. 670/or less Tongue Weight and I have about 500 for cargo/people. (Will loaf truck bed light) Iโ€™ll make it work legally,,,

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
That trailer has a max weight of 7600 pounds.
Max tongue weight at 12.5% is 950 pounds.
1589-950=639
Take another 100 off for the WD.
That leaves you with 539 pounds for passengers and anything else you put in the truck.
The tow rating is really useless as you will run out of payload before you hit that weight.
Dry weights are basically useless as you will not go traveling with an empty trailer.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

FedMill
Explorer
Explorer
,,,, and I am aware of the cargo capacity on my Truck. 1589 i think it is with a Gvwr of 6600 lbs.

12.8k total combined weight rating.

FedMill
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, as a retired Federal worker I will be staying at some Federal/Military Rv sites. My understanding is they go by the model number ? Anyway, if I took off the back spare tire it would be at 30 feet long ๐Ÿ˜‰ I did want to stay at max 28 feet Loa but the wife likes the 261. I am going to the Tampa Rv show in June so will see.

Thanks for the post about the bath access, I forgot about that . Could you just crack the slide some or does it need to be opened all the way to gain access ?

Thanks again good advice... Yes I will be within a few hundred pounds of tow capacity however, I will be installing Timbren Bump Stops and using a weight distribution hitch. I have watched vids and talked to many folks online that have towed as much or more than I with the same truck and did it with out issue. I am probably going to trade in a few years for the up and coming Toyota Tundra if the news I am reading comes to fruition. The Tundra going to be one mighty Truck for a half-ton,,,

JCK
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 2013 Keystone 246 RBS and liked it a lot . Our TV was a 2014 GMC 1500 6.2 and the 4300 lb. rear axle. We pulled it a lot in MI,OH,Kentucky,Tennessee Indiana. We liked the rear bath a lot alouth you could not access it at night with slide closed. Getting back to tow vehicle the truck pulled it easily and was within weights . The thing I did not like I could never drive with one hand and be comfortable the TV always wanted to wonder a little. Probably because of the P rated tires. Ultimately we traded for a 2500 Duramax and the difference is night and day. Then in 2018 we traded and got a Grand Design Imagine 2500 RL and absolutely love it .
2019 GMC Denali 2500 Duramax
2018 Grand Design Imagine 2500 RL

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
At 31 feet of box the Keystone Bullet Model 261RBS too long for many government campgrounds and boondocking IMO if thatโ€™s where you want to camp.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Engine power isnโ€™t usually the issue. Payload maximum and max trailer weight are. Towing close to those two maxs isnโ€™t fun. Donโ€™t let the tail (trailer) wag the dog (tow vehicle.)
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

FedMill
Explorer
Explorer
,,,and I will say I am amazed with this motor....

FedMill
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for those replyโ€™s!
Well, Dry weight of the 261 is 5400lbs. My tow capacity is 7600 lbs. Iโ€™m well within limits. Yes bigger is always better however I got the Ecoboost that supplies plenty of Torque down low,,, When the 2022 Tundra comes out I will most likely trade for it. The reviews Iโ€™m reading look fantastic for a half ton truck. For now the 2.7 Eco will have to do,,,

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
My concern would mostly be the delamination issue seen on Keystone trailers. Every single one I see on the road has this issue.

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just looking at the numbers you are posting and not knowing anything about the true weights of the trailer, you need a bigger truck or smaller trailer. You really do not want to be at the limits of your setup with little to no room to spare. Even more important with a 1/2 ton truck. It is much safer and a much more comfortable drive to have more truck than what you need. Over the years I have pulled trailers that are at the limit of the vehicle. It doesn't make for a relaxing drive. Lots of people do it but that doesn't make it ok or safe. Since you don't have the trailer, you might look for something a little smaller or lighter. Actual weights are better than guesses. My experience is that the actual weight going down the road is more than what you thought.