cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leaf Spring Replacement

TECMike
Explorer
Explorer
Is it necessary to replace leaf springs on a travel trailer as preventive maintenance?

Our small Sunnybrook travel trailer is twelve years old, been a joy to own without any major problems. I estimate my wife and I have pulled it about seventy thousand miles since we bought it new.

Should I give consideration to replacing its leaf springs? They seem to be fine, other than being old. But I do not want to have a spring to fail in the middle of nowhere.

Would appreciate advice from seasoned RVers. Thanks in advance.
18 REPLIES 18

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
As long as they look good with no cracked steel and have a good arc you are good for a long time.
Although anything can happen on the road you should not worry about your springs.

TECMike
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Huntindog, for the response. I had wet bolts installed when I bought the trailer, so perhaps that has helped, along with the Equaflex suspension. No sagging at all, just old OE springs with a lot of miles on them. Yes, perhaps the steel was better back in 2009.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree. Not in my opinion.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
TECMike wrote:
Is it necessary to replace leaf springs on a travel trailer as preventive maintenance?

Our small Sunnybrook travel trailer is twelve years old, been a joy to own without any major problems. I estimate my wife and I have pulled it about seventy thousand miles since we bought it new.

Should I give consideration to replacing its leaf springs? They seem to be fine, other than being old. But I do not want to have a spring to fail in the middle of nowhere.

Would appreciate advice from seasoned RVers. Thanks in advance.
IMO, no it is not necessary. In fact I have seen more fairly new springs fail than old ones. It all has to do with the quality of the steel they were made of. With the use you describe, it appears yours were made with good steel... Now all springs will eventually wear out and sag. But that is not a failure that will sideline the TT. I would just watch for sagging and replace them when/if it occurs. Of course the bushings will wear out as well, and that is a more common issue.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW