cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for HD 12V plug-in between truck and trailer

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I want to run a heavier charge line from the truck to the TT I'm buying. My problem is in finding a heavy duty plug-in that is relatively water proof, will handle a lot of amperage and the size of cable I want to use. I don't know exactly what the amperage will be. The trailer has two 6-V batteries, I probably won't add any more batteries but might if I can easily find room, the truck's alternator puts out 130A and the cable will #4.

I was thinking of using the Anderson or SY connectors that range from 20A to 350A. It was pointed out to me that while they're a good connector, they're generally used inside meaning they're not really meant for the rear bumper of a truck in the rain, dirt, snow and mud.

I've looked at Cole Hersee 2 and 4 pin plugs but they don't appear to handle over 20A and don't come close to handling the size of cable I want to use.

I've been through the Blue Sea catalog and others without seeing what I want.

What have other people used for the connector when they've done this charging modification?

This is basically the same as if you were installing a high amperage electric 12V winch on a car trailer - what do people use for that connection?

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.
9 REPLIES 9

westend
Explorer
Explorer
You guys that are thinking about big current charging your RV batteries using the vehicle alternator ought to consider what a separate outboard rectifier brings to the set up. You will get a lot more life out of your vehicle alternator with a separate rectifier as it is the main heat source when the alternator is called on to produce current.

Forum member Mexicowanderer is a guru of alternators and I would believe consulting with him would bring the best results. If you revisit this topic in the "Tech issues" section, there is a good chance he'll weigh in. At one time, he confessed to rebuilding 10,000 alternators. I don't doubt that a bit.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm going to have another charging problem if I use my PD9260C converter/charger doing two banks of batteries.

If I switch them to parallel That I will need the 4AWG cable paths the same length. I guess I can coil up some of the 4AWG cable on the trailer side. Each bank needs to see the same DC Current load when hit with 14.4VDC...

I though about using 2AWG cables for the run between the trailer and truck but never could find those same type connector and plug rated for 2AWG, I could cut and prune to make the short length of the 4AWG cable equal the longer length of the 2AWG cable going to the truck battery bank...

I also carry my 2KW generator secured to the truck bed under a locked bed cover so I have a couple of ways to re-charge my batteries using a portable B&D VEC1093 40AMP smart mode portable charger and not use the Truck Alternator setup perhaps...

On the Blue Sea 7650 SI-ACR setup keep in mind the alternator is rated at 130AMPs but if the setup doesn't demand that much then you don't need to worry about it... My two batteries will only demand around 40AMPS for just a few minutes when the 14.4VDC hits them. I will most likely only switch in AUX Batteries to the Truck Alternator when they need to be recharged or I need a boost to start my truck. I do not intend to use my alternator as a full load generator so to speck haha... Will just run off the AUX batteries to run my aux 12VDC needs in the truck that is connected to the 12VDC SUB Panel.

I'm thinking you want the Truck Alternator to provide most of your 12VDC needs not so much the batteries...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I haven't convinced myself just yet to go with alternator charging for my aux batteries. Almost sound like flirting with death haha...

Al of the Rescue Squad tactical vehicles have a separate alternator setup for their aux battery setups...

I am interested in how you will build up the 2-wire 4AWG cable with sleeve etc and the 2-ping connector.

I'd like to find a source for this as an assy but can't find one anywhere.

I guess you just use two 4AWG cables inside a weather tight PVC sleeve...

Let me know what you end up with... I guess I need something maybe 12-foot long. I will just tie into the trailer side using ring terminals inside an electrical junction box much like the 7-way cable is done...

I need one of these 4AWG 2-wire assys maybe 12-foot long with pigtails on the other end...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Roy - I looked at the same 7650 Blue Sea Add-A-Battery kit and called them on it. It's only rated to 120A. My concern was that my alternator puts out 130A and I will probably go a little larger alternator when this one eventually fails.

I called them see if the extra 10A was of concern. I was hoping when they rated it at 120A the relay wouldn't be hurt by the extra amperage but would just ignore it as unusable. The tech person said not to use the 7650, but go to either the 7620 or 7622 rated at 500A continuous.

So check your alternator and think about if you'll go to larger one in the future.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is a project I am wanting to do having a second battery bank in my truck bed to support some off-road Radio Comms with just the truck but also connecting to my OFF-ROAD trailer to give a couple more batteries when camping...

This on the drawing board only and haven't done anything yet. My big concern is zapping my truck Alternator so I'm abit leary of switching it in to charge my two batteries in the back of the truck.

Rule number ONE - don't blow up your truck as it is the only way to get home hehe...

Roy Ken
Roy - Carolyn
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
check this article out... Might find some good ideas here doing just about the same thing you want to do... They have NAPA numbers for the same looking 2-wire connectors...

HD Charging setup...

Sorry about the spelling hehe... I got a similar project still in the thinking stage,,,

Roy Ken
Roy - Carolyn
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you Roy, this is rated at 200A and will work just fine. However it's spelled Pollak, the etrailer site kept telling me I was crazy when I tried to spell it with an X.

Bill

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look at POLLAX PK-12800/PK-12801 series from ETRAILER.COM
They make a 2-pin chassis mount with lid and mating plug for 4AWG cable ... Mount it next to your 7-way truck connector... The chassis mount uses standard lugs on the back for the 4AWG cables... These are rated for 200A DC CURRENT I think it is...

I also had a source for two conductor 4AWG cable that large buses used to get from the front to the back but can't put my hands it right now. Might have been ETRAILER as well...

Roy Ken
Roy - Carolyn
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

westend
Explorer
Explorer
An Andersen Powerpole Connector in the high amperage variety is a good connector. I've had to melt them out of ice on the front of trucks with plows. They were still functioning.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton