Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My first post - I'm new to trailers and need some input

atexintx
Explorer
Explorer
I need some help on estimating travel expenses and more -
I’m a bean counter by profession and cash flow projections are my expertise and, yet, I need some input for estimating some expenses based upon the assumptions below:
Assumptions:
I’ll be pulling a 16’-17’’ trailer with my 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan, GTW=3,600 lbs.
This limits me to a trailer empty weight of about 2,900 lbs.
I plan to travel alone except for my Chihuahua.
We plan to live in our trailer year round, traveling about 18-25 days each month with some mountain traveling but flat land otherwise.
My Caravan normally gets about 28 mpg on the road; otherwise about 18 mpg around town.
I’m expecting to get about 10 mpg? pulling my trailer.
Questions:
(I know the answer to most of these may be “it depends” in which case just assume “a little bit of this and a little bit of that” (if this makes any sense).
1. How much extra per year can I expect to pay for trailer vehicle expense? I’m with State Farm for the Caravan.
2. What can I expect to pay per night on average for overnight camping while traveling our great highways and byways (Remember – I know “it depends” – but …).
3. Where and how would I find cable and Internet connections – (1) most every camping spot, (2) some camping spots, (3) a few camping spots?
4. Are there any “best practices” when it comes to being on the electric/Internet grid as we travel?
5. How much can I expect to pay per month for cable and Internet (I have a telephone and Internet-based business)?
6. If I’m in an area with spotty cell phone reception, would a phone system like OOMA be a good option? Otherwise, I use Skype.
7. Would AT&T help me with options for doing quick charges on my cell phone that does not require electricity (or is there any such thing).
8. Will I be using a generator for my electricity if I don’t have a hook up? I understand that solar panels may be a smart way to go.
9. Are fresh water fill-ups included in the cost of overnight camping?
10. Do most camping spots have fresh water fill ups?
11. Is the cost of electricity included in the cost of overnight camping?
12. It appears to me that overnight hookup charges may be the biggest expense while traveling 80% of the time on the road. Correct?
13. Is it difficult to find camping spots where one can camp for 30 days or so?
14. Is it realistic to think that if I’m in a town or city I can park on a side street for several nights. Would this be a matter of knowing local city laws?
15. Is the best way to buy a used trailer (if one becomes available) only from a dealer or would buying from an individual be okay too?
16. If I purchase a used trailer from an individual, what due diligence should I do over and above what I’d do with a dealer?
17. What would be the best type of dunnage (packing cushion to protect dishes, supplies, etc. while moving?)
18. Is there any value in having a short wave radio? What would that be?
19. I’m concerned about camping in a flash flood area and want to know which is the best way to be alerted on this.
20. I might do some camping in California some day and I understand they only provide an online reservation system. Is it a hassle to camp in CA?
21. I do plan to travel the Great Plains and Mountain West, the Midwest and maybe the Deep South – Any particular region better than the other? (As a kid, we tent camped in Jackson Hole, Colorado, Rapid City, Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota).

First one to answer most of these will get either a six pack of Bud Light or 3 pints of Hagen Daz ice cream emailed to them (if I can).

John
fbtstudies@gmail.com
El Paso Texas
16 REPLIES 16

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
WHY too many questions for one post.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will NOT enjoy pulling a hard sided trailer with your minivan unless it is something ultra light like a fiberglass 'egg' or a no slide 14' unit. I've been there, done that, as has a former coworker. He did it for 2 years locally (within about 100 relatively flat miles from home), I noped out after towing the trailer in my signature home. In theory the numbers work, in reality the soft rear suspension makes for an absolutely terrible towing experience.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH