cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need opinion ice maker vs yeti in texas

segen77
Explorer
Explorer
We camp for 4-7 days at a time, and usually mountain bike (or have some sort of outdoor activity) each day. We will typically take about 60lbs of ice with us in coolers, but often find that we have to go buy another 60lbs every 3 days. I would like to avoid leaving camp so much if possible, and wanted opinions on portable ice makers vs heavy duty cooler.

The portable ice maker is slightly cheaper at about $200-$250 and states it will make about 30 lbs per day. I figure we would realistically only get about 15 lbs per day out of it as we wont get it at night and wont be able to watch it constantly.

The cooler would be a Yeti type (maybe Pelican brand) and size would be a 50qt. I believe the price on these are close to $350, and the intent is to fill it completely with ice prior to leaving the house.

So, what do those of you in the hotter climates do for ice in the summer?
Aaron Kennedy
18 REPLIES 18

Chuck_S
Explorer
Explorer
I'm curious what you do with 60 pounds of ice.

Our refrigerator keeps plenty of cold drinks.

-- Chuck
'06 Roo 23SS behind '17 Expedition out of Richmond
Our Photo pages

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a link to a small ice maker that I found on google.

http://www.compactappliance.com/IP210TI-Compact-Edgestar-Portable-Ice-Maker/IP210TI.html

Some are even less than your target $225 list price. I think it is the kind that I saw at a campout, where the owner put in a quart of water, then a small pump in the bottom of the machine pumps this into the ice mold, it makes ice into a strainer type basket (think silverware tray in your dishwasher) and then any melting refills the water reservoir, so it will make it back into ice.

They list several models, from 20 - 30 pounds capacity with many reviews to read on each one.

Yes they look like they would work, however with just a 2.5 pound capacity, they can only hold a small amount of ice, and you would need to stop by at lunch time, dinner time, and a hour later to "Harvest" the ice into another freezer in order to get anywhere near 25 pounds a day. That is 10 times harvesting 2.5 pounds out of the ice maker and adding 1-1/2 quarts of water each time.

You will also need to dispose of the used water every once in a while. Water had minerals in it, and these typically are not frozen to the ice mold, so the minerals collect at the bottom of the tank.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

segen77
Explorer
Explorer
I'm considering one of these two.

http://www.amazon.com/NewAir-AI-100R-28-Pound-Portable-Icemaker/dp/B0017Y3GGI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401418844&sr=8-1&keywords=portable+ice+maker+newair

http://www.amazon.com/Newair-AI-215R-Portable-50-Pound-Capacity/dp/B008RL4OCY/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1401418844&sr=8-6&keywords=portable+ice+maker+newair
Aaron Kennedy

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Are you able to get ahold of some dry ice? That will keep the freezer frozen, and prevent 1/2 of the ice from melting in the first couple of days.

Dry ice is CO2, and while frozen will thaw at about -100F. So it stays REALLY cold until it all thaws out.

You can also try making blocks of ice, say in a 2 quart pitcher that is wider at the top than bottom (so it will slide out) and store in zip lock baggies. It will help keep the cooler cold.

Can you post a link to the ice maker?

Thanks,

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com