Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New 212QBW - Weight Concerns

shane_kelly55
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Guys,
Total Noob here so bear with me.

We were at the DFW RV show this past weekend and put a downpayment on an RV. Its a Jayco SLX 212QBW and its our first trailer.

My TV is a 2015 V6 Jeep Grand Cherokee but no tow package just the factory hitch. Its rated for 6200 lbs with a payload of 1050lbs. The TT dry is 4250 with a tongue % of 11%. Its only two of use and we're very weight aware. I am hoping we dont break 4800 lbs.

If my math is right @ 4800lbs we'll be about 510 lbs on the tongue. I thought i read payloads on the stick included full gas tank and 2 passengers of 150lbs each? If so, then i think i'm ok in the TV.

Is this a pipe dream or is this doable? The TV has a factory tranny cooler already but i was thinking of an auxiliary just before the rad.

Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Cheers....

Shane
7 REPLIES 7

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
mine gets the job done but I am deffinitly at the limits of the vehicle and I have the 4.7 and solid axles that jeep foolishly decided to do away with.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
shane.kelly55 wrote:
I've verified the tow rating on the Jeep on the sticker on the door for that vehicle.

Never heard of that on a door sticker, can you post a pic of exactly what you are looking at???

It says 6200lbs and 620 for the Tongue Weight.

Going by the usual math using 15% as the TW, i can only tow 4000lbs loaded and thats pushing it (600lbs).

Very dissapointed in this Jeep.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

shane_kelly55
Explorer
Explorer
I've verified the tow rating on the Jeep on the sticker on the door for that vehicle.

It says 6200lbs and 620 for the Tongue Weight.

Going by the usual math using 15% as the TW, i can only tow 4000lbs loaded and thats pushing it (600lbs).

Very dissapointed in this Jeep.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
You may want to verify your tow rating. The max listed is 6200lbs but that is likely only if it has the tow package. Without the tow package it may be significantly less. The tow package will include things like a tranny cooler (very important), heavy duty alternator, different gearing etc which can make a big difference.

Also, forget the dry weights, they can be very misleading. Check the trailer for a sticker of its actual weight as it left the factory. It should have a yellow sticker inside a cabinet or on the screen door. The tongue weight of a loaded trailer can have a percentage much different than an empty trailer as well, depending on where the storage areas are.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Do not get a single axle travel trailer. I seen them as low as 300lbs payload.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

shane_kelly55
Explorer
Explorer
Well there you go, i'm way off. Max tongue for mine is 620.

I have the option of getting the 19RB which is 3000lbs or there bouts. Single Axle so stores much less 830 lbs - almost pointless to be honest.

What would be some good weights for my rig so i can start looking again? I just bought this rig and now i want to sell it big time.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the Forum...
You are doing the right thing by running these numbers...but, from my experience, I think you are being a little optimistic. Did you factor in two full propane tanks and two batteries?
I think the GVWR of that trailer is 6000. Realistic, with options, and trip loaded you are looking at around 700 lbs of tongue weight.

I'm not going to make the call and tell you - "good to go" or "no way." Best load up your tow vehicle and get it weighed. Then you can start figuring how much payload you have left.

Good luck with it all.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro