cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New guy with a 1998 Jayco Lite Hawk and some questions

celtic11
Explorer
Explorer
I am in need of some assistance. I have just recently bought a 1998 Jayco Lite Hawk that is turing out to be a pretty bad purchase. So far Ive ripped up the floor in over half the camper and replaced and today we got a very heavy rain and I found a couple leaks. One leak is coming in under one of the windows. That does look like it could use resealed so I think I am just going to caulk that. The other one is coming in from the roof. The water is dripping through the light, but I think is coming in around the skylight or maybe the seam up front. The camper roof looks like it was recently resealed but I see a couple small cracks where it looks like some water could be seeping through.

Weve had a few smaller rains prior to this one and no water has found its way in. I would like to repair this roof but I am already in this camper more than I wish I was and would like to do it as affordable as possible. I have no idea what kind of roof I have, but I think its a rubber roof. I've ordered 4 tubes of Dicor lap sealant after doing some reading, so hopefully I'm on the right track there.

I also have a couple areas of damage to the shell of the camper that I am not sure how to tackle. At this point they have not become a problem, but I fear they will if I don't just do it now. I'm not too awful concerned about the looks, just want to keep the water out. I'm posting some pictures and would just like some advice on how to tackle the roof issue and the shell isues please. Thanks in advance.

Here is a couple pictures of the roof..

Problems?

Here are some issues with the shell. The camper had a tree limb fall on it at one point so thats what the damage above the door is from. Also, don't worry about the duct tape. There was a puncture from the same tree limb but I've got a piece of aluminum to cover that with.

Sorry for all of the pics, I'm just a little overwhelmed here..
4 REPLIES 4

westend
Explorer
Explorer
With the roof, you could get by with peeling off the numerous layers of who-knows-what caulking and using the Dicor. You need a new vent cover, of course. The side damage is all about fiberglassing and it would take a true master to get it all straight and smooth. It will only need an apprentice to get it sealed up with some glass mat and resin.

At the stage you're at, I would continue with the sealing mentioned. After you're done, borrow or beg a blower from someone. I think you may be able to rent one at the bigger rental centers. I use a furnace squirrel cage. The blower is used to pressurize the inside cabin space, usually through a window or hatch. The final part is to go over the exterior with soapy water in a hand sprayer and look for leaks. This pressurized leak test will turn up even the smallest leaks. Without this test, you'll be guessing and chasing leaks forever.

A pinhole leak:

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Fix what you can on the roof. fill all cracks... etc... Use liquid roof. Follow the instructions..

About $350 bucks if you do it yourself...

Do a google search for liquid roof.. Best stuff out there IMO...
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

celtic11
Explorer
Explorer
It's ok. I don't mind work and I only plan to have this camper for 2-3 years, as my family will be outgrowing it by then anyways. It was a starter camper for us. So far I paid $1800 for it and have about $200 in the floor repairs. The roof is up next, and if my research so far is correct, I should be able to clean the problem areas good and reseal with Dicor lap sealant. I'll also be reasealing all the windows and hatches and what-not.

At this point, the other parts haven't become a problem. It's rained the better part of the last week here and I've had no water come in, other than the two areas already mentioned. I'm not looking for perfection by any means, just a dry camper for now.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Wow. I hate to say it, but this really looks like a lot of work.