cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Trailer any advice will help

Carhlr
Explorer
Explorer
New to the forum I just bought a 2013 Shadow Cruiser S314TSB 6600lbs dry, I have a 2010 1500 Silverado 4x4 5.3 crew cab with the Heavy Duty tow package. The Trailer is new the dealer is throwing in a WD hitch with sway control. I called the dealer where I bought the truck they looked at my build sheet and said the truck was rated at 9500lbsand it shouldn't be a problem. SO I shouldn't have any problems I Hope. This is our 2nd TT and a different tow vehicle. I had sway problems with our Forest river TT and older 1500 crew cab that TT was 6900 dry. DID I buy to much TT for my truck? Any advice would be appreciated.

16 REPLIES 16

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Welcome to the forum!

You are not providing enough info on truck and trailer, to get much response.

With the trailer loaded to camp,you'd probably be around 8,000#s, so tongue weight would likely be 800-1000#s. Your hitch around 100#s.

You could look at your truck loading sticker on the door, to see what you have for payload. With the tow pk, I'd think you have 3.73 gears.

It may work if you have enough payload. You don't say how many passengers. If you add more info, others will chime in.

Congrats on the new rig,
Jerry

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I think you will be OK, just be sure you tow with your transmission in "tow mode". If your truck does not have the "tow mode" feature, then do not tow in over-drive.

We towed our first TT with a 1500 Chevy Suburban. The trailer was 5000 pounds dry. I destroyed my transmission because I towed in overdrive. I had a new transmission installed, but it never ran the same again. We soon traded for a heavier truck. Just be sure you tow in "Tow Mode" or "Drive", but not "overdrive".