cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie looking for some advice/help

grumpysmurf
Explorer
Explorer
We have been looking (to include a show in Sept.) for the right TT for about 6 months now. We are leaning towards the 27' to 29'range. We
like the look of fiberglass over aluminum. I made the mistake of reading the thread on this forum on that very topic. It was quite overwhelming and when it became personal instead of productive I quite reading. I think my question is, all TT seem to be equipped with all the same basic's ( you just have to decide what floor plan you like). Are their certain TT's that have certain things that others don't have. Sorry that was a mouth full! (Example: Wood blinds are standard verses the cheap 1/2 plastic ones. etc.)
If you would like to just ignore everything up top and suggest a TT, that would be wonderful.
So far we think we like the outback and the Kodiak.
Thank you for your time!
God Bless!

P.S. Please receive this comment in the spirit it is intended: In responding to the above thread, although it is very relevant, budget and tow vehicle is not a concern in your recommendations.
13 REPLIES 13

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Look at the Lance TT. Good variety of floor plan designs, good quality and light.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Good choice there in considering the Outback. Of course, I'm prejudiced there! (see my signature below and profile -link- on the left).

grumpysmurf
Explorer
Explorer
Towing capacity 10,400 GVR is 7300, VORTEC 6.2L V8 ENGINE 6-SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
N15 - FLEXFUEL NHT - MAX TRAILERING PACKAGE: * VORTEC 6.2L V8
SFI ENGINE * 6-SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANS,REAR AXLE - 3.73 RATIO,CUSTOM ALUMINUM WHEELS * H.D. TRAILERING
EQUIPMENT PKG * LOCKING REAR DIFFERENTIAL *
HEAVY DUTY TRAILERING AXLE * ON/OFF ROAD BW
TIRES

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Yes they all have the same appliances and similar features and floorplans.
What sets them a part is tank capacities,cargo carrying capacity,amount and type of insulation,available storage,amount of slide outs,30 amp vs. 50 amp electric,amount of windows,roof material, ground clearance,fit and finish quality height,width, tire size and the GVW.
Your camping style will decide what factors are important to you.
What is important varies by person depending on their wants needs and camping style.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

doxiluvr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I really have no opinion to offer you. I think most manufacturers are all pretty good, depending on the price range you are looking to stay in, and it is up to your taste, the floorplan you like, what you are going to be towing with, and how you are going to use it, and most importantly, how you are going to take care of it. We looked at about 7 travel trailers in one day at one dealer and I found ours as I wanted a front kitchen and rear bedroom, a couple slide outs and something that we would be able to tow with the truck we had at the time, and that was it. Plus the décor was easy to work with. We still have it It is 8 years old and looks like new, because we take good care of it. What other people think of it is not important to me. It suits us and our lifestyle. Pick out the 5 or 6 things that are the most important to you and make your decision.
2006 Keystone Sprinter 300fkms
2007 Silverado 2500 Duramax Diesel 6.6 - Allison 1000 6 spd. auto. tran.
1 high school sweetheart hubby - 1 ChiWeenie - Abby
4 grown kids, 6 grandkids, 2 great-grandchildren
1 2007 Yamaha v-Star 1300

doxiluvr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I really have no opinion to offer you. I think most manufacturers are all pretty good, depending on the price range you are looking to stay in, and it is up to your taste, the floorplan you like, what you are going to be towing with, and how you are going to use it, and most importantly, how you are going to take care of it. We looked at about 7 travel trailers in one day at one dealer and I found ours as I wanted a front kitchen and rear bedroom, a couple slide outs and something that we would be able to tow with the truck we had at the time, and that was it. Plus the décor was easy to work with. We still have it It is 8 years old and looks like new, because we take good care of it. What other people think of it is not important to me. It suits us and our lifestyle. Pick out the 5 or 6 things that are the most important to you and make your decision.
2006 Keystone Sprinter 300fkms
2007 Silverado 2500 Duramax Diesel 6.6 - Allison 1000 6 spd. auto. tran.
1 high school sweetheart hubby - 1 ChiWeenie - Abby
4 grown kids, 6 grandkids, 2 great-grandchildren
1 2007 Yamaha v-Star 1300

grumpysmurf
Explorer
Explorer
BubbaChris that would be two adults and two dogs. At the rate were moving on this though it might be one dog.

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't care about budget and TV, how about letting us know how many people it needs to sleep?

Overall I doubt I could have done better for our needs. That's for 2 humans and 2-3 dogs in large crates.

I love our storage, the counter space for cooking, and the ability to use 90% of everything with the slide in (super easy to get to the bathroom during rest stops, which is not true for all TT's)
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

Dtaylor
Explorer
Explorer
It took us over 6 months to find the TT we wanted. At some point you look at so many they begin to run together. My brother has an outback and has had no problems. They are a heavy unless they now have a lite weight version. The interior components are basically the same. Some may be higher quality than others
Our Travel Blog

2018 Premier 29RKPR
2014 Ford F-150

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
As to the siding; I've owned both and prefer fiberglass over aluminum. The Outbacks have a big following and seem to be a good TT.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree that many of the basic components are the same. But, there are some trailers that are finished a little nicer and have better fit and finish. I almost hate to say that as many will argue differently. We liked our Winnebago because of the amount of storage space, outside kitchen and it the fit and finish was better than many that we looked at. I like a lot of Jayco products, but wasn't impressed with their smaller, lightweight trailers. Evergreen makes a trailer very similiar to ours, but the fit and finish wasn't as nice as Winnebago, and I liked the longer awning on the Winnebago vs. the larger door for the outside kitchen and shorter awning on the Evergreen. The Passport line of trailers were very attractive. If I had a 3/4 ton truck and wanted to spend a little bit more, it may have been worthwhile to track down an Arctic Fox trailer, but I would have had to travel quite a ways west to find a dealer.

Having had a Sunline with aluminum siding and now the fiberglass bonded panel Winnebago, the smooth side Winnebago is much easier to clean and wax.

Bottom line is you just have to take your time and find the trailer that matches your needs, price range and will work with your tow vehicle. After that, the major thing is to maintain all seams and seals to avoid water damage.

So, don't agonize over it. Find what will work for you, and then enjoy. If you are like most folks, you won't keep it forever and find a newer trailer that is much more attractive (although I don't plan on getting rid of my Minnie for a long time!).
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Floor plan, Tow vehicle and Finances are the three legged stool the RV owner sits on. All have to be right for the deal.

If you can, rent a TT of similar size and floor plan for a week. You will learn a lot.

Interior trims are about the same for equivalent price ranges, because most manufactures by from the same sources.

Stick and tin or laminates both have their followings. As do the used vs. new trailer folks.

Also do not be afraid to ask questions on the board, you will get a large diversity of opinions.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

ashnic
Explorer
Explorer
We have owned Roo's, a Aruba, a Hornet 5th wheel and recently purchased a Outback. Not because it is the newest by any means but it is our favorite..I know some of this is as technology changes so do RV's which is a huge benefit to us all..Take your time, look at a lot and purchase one that fits your budget and truck and you are good to go....Good luck!
2012 2500HD GMC Sierra
2011 Outback 295RE