Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Questions Regarding ProPride 3P Hitch

TundraTango1312
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All,

I am excited to be a new member of this forum. I am hoping to receive some helpful feedback from members who own and are familiar with the ProPride 3P 1400 hitch. I bought this hitch new in November of 2011. My TT is a 2012 Pacific Coachworks Tango 27BBS. I have had 3 tow vehicles since I bought the hitch and trailer new. I have had a few issues with the hitch and may still have issues with it. The first issue has been solved...the weight distribution jacks shifted on the TT a-frame and the set screws dimpled/compressed both inner walls of the TT a-frames. I wasn't at all happy about this. However, Sean from ProPride was helpful and sent me some steel plates to mount over the dimples. I was told that the dimples would not weaken the trailer frame. I had my RV dealer tack weld on the plates and I drilled some dimples in the plates to prevent the set screw from slipping. This created a solid contact point and enabled me to tighten the set screws enough to prevent any more WD jack slippage and movement...no trouble since.

Okay, fast forward a little bit. I have had trouble with every tow vehicle wanting to pull to the right side when towing the TT down the freeway. Sometimes it will want to pull to the left and occasionally it will track straight. I currently own a 2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4 and the vehicle does not pull when unhitched from the TT. I have had the TT axles aligned, hoping it would solve the problem but unfortunately, it handles exactly the same. Here is a description of the issues I am having:

1.) After further inspection of the hitch, I noticed that the ProPride hitch box is not square. It sits a little more than 1/8" lower on the curb side.

2.) With the hitch centered and the WD jacks all the way down, there is 1 1/8" between the bottom of the frame and the yoke on the street side and 1 1/2" on the curb side. This is a noticeable difference.

3.) With the WD jacks all the way down, the curb side spring bar binds on the spring bar link where the street side moves freely. This doesn't seem right.

4.) At full turns, the links on the main hitch unit rub on the TT safety chain mounting bracket which is mounted at the very front lower end of the TT a-frame. My RV dealer should have caught this during the installation. I had my dealer bend down the TT safety bracket in an attempt to provide sufficient clearance, however, it still rubs.

I am not sure if these things are normal or within tolerance of the ProPride hitch. However, I must say that I am not happy with the handling of the TV and TT. I would appreciate it if someone who owns and understands this hitch could give me some helpful feedback!

All comments are welcome and I will attempt to upload some photos!

Thanks and Happy Camping!
1 REPLY 1

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tangos are very well made. I doubt it is the trailer. However, you could do an elimination of the problem issues by first towing a different trailer with the hitch and your truck. If that is not the problem, then change the hitch (borrow another hitch from somebody or the dealer) and see if that resolves it. And lastly tow with a different truck. One of the three will give you the cause of the towing problems you are experiencing.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.