cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Run the USA is what?

jay427
Explorer
Explorer
For those who have gone before us what is a good rig for a couple to run the USA in, as an example to see all the national parks etc? Maybe 2-3 week runs, not sure about timing, just tossing something out for discussion.

The flip side is we would use the rig to stay at mostly MN state parks with family and friends, so short 200 mile runs etc. With these run the 2 kids may join, may not who knows, they are college bound. One of the kids says he don't care and would be happy in a tent (I remember being like that 40 years ago!).

Don't think I want to get a bigger truck, we are rated just under 10,000# for the little 1/2 ton, based on past experience I don't want to be over 25', lighter the better, under 6,000# seems a good number to shoot for.

In the past we have had a couple of pop-ups, TT's, etc. Never had anything real big, always stayed around that 20' mark. Some of the best sites in our state you would never get a large rig in.

The above is more of a back story, sorry for making you all read it!

If selecting a camper for just in state use its fairly easy, if looking to the run the USA I'm not sure I want to pull a 20' rig around.

So for those who have done it what was your weapon of choice for running the country?

Maybe a TT is not a great option, but its all I really know, open to options.

Would be nice if the TT was small enough that I would not have to mess around with WDH's etc. Just quick hook up an go.

I have a little bit of pull from each direction for in state use vs running the country!

What say you?

Thanks in advanced.
31 REPLIES 31

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am just 26' and I would not hesitate to go the distance if time allowed. Have been well over 1500 miles from home and close to 4 weeks a few times. Only difference is restocking the provisions and some laundry every 5 to 8 days. Other than that you just keep going.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Would be nice if the TT was small enough that I would not have to mess around with WDH's etc. Just quick hook up an go.

That's not really an option, my TT is only 18' and there's no way I would tow it without a WDH with sway control. Even behind a 2500 it moved around more than I liked and that was without wind or panic maneuvers. To each their own but I'd never tow a TT without sway control. That said putting the bars on or taking them off takes maybe 30s so it's not like it has any meaningful impact on our setup and tear down time.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH