cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have wondered a lot about Old Fella and just why I became so determined to rescue him. There are many reasons that have come to mind and I cannot settle on one specific reason except that the moment I saw him something got to my heart about this poor old dog living his last days alone. But I see a larger picture now and what has given me this passion is one thread that said, we were going to get a dog by next summer. We had been trying to select a breeder, but since reading this thread, this story, we have decided to adopt a pet and give him a second chance at life.

If nothing else Old Fella may just be the Saviour for many a stray living alone and without hope. There are many Old Fella's out there and I hope that through him many will be saved and given a home where they will know what it is like to be loved and cared for. Maybe Old Fella could become their champion, their hope. Wouldn't it be something if all of the shelters were empty and every stray had a home?? If nothing else, if for no other reason Old Fella's rescue became a symbol of hope for so many, then this old stray's life has meant more than anything I could have done and would be over shadowed by his greatness.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

lynno62
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:
lynno62 wrote:
Oh have you not heard,:W that is the 1st nights stay of the rally.:p
We just are keeping the walmart location a secret for now.:B

Okay guys, K Mart and Target are going to jealous!

Okay I guess we could extend the rally a day in each direction:)
Then we could do a night at Target;)
and then a night at Kmart:W
yes everyone this is a joke.:p:B
I am not taking this many days off to camp in a store parking lot. I can do that at home.:o:R
Just have to have some fun.
So Glad that Old Fella is doing so well,he sure new how to wait and pick the right daddy with a wonderful family. I do belive like Camper Carl said that God had a hand in this.
Take care,Lynn
Lynno & Girls
Mickey 8yr old Black Lab German shepard mix
Brandy 1yr old Black Lab(May she rest in peace)
1977 Scamp 13'TT
1995 jeep 4x4

Camper_Carl
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,
just went into My Preferences and set my pages at 20 post per page. Makes for a lot easier to read and brings the post pages down to 51.

Carl
If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of
payments on your RV.

2007 campouts: 2
Days: 6
Miles Towed: 475

Camper_Carl
Explorer
Explorer
lynno62 wrote:

WHAT!?!?!?!...:) I hope your joking...:W
payments on your RV.

Gottahaveit
Well we have been gone for 5 days and finally got to catch up on Ol Fella. Yep had to get another box of kleenex. This is such a wonderful story to come home to. My heart goes out to Richard and Family. Ol Fella waited till he found the right daddy. Boy did he pick a good one.
40ft Mandalay Quad Slide
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
smurf764 wrote:
...and not one comment about 'overniting at Wal-Mart with dogs!... :R DON'T GO THERE!!

I think Richard would get a black muzzle in his lap, with a grunt, plus paw, and then one of those, "You got to be kidding me!" looks if he pulled into a parking lot to overnight ...
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
lynno62 wrote:

Okay guys, K Mart and Target are going to jealous!

Wife Sue

lynno62
Explorer
Explorer
Lynno & Girls
Mickey 8yr old Black Lab German shepard mix
Brandy 1yr old Black Lab(May she rest in peace)
1977 Scamp 13'TT
1995 jeep 4x4

smurf764
Explorer
Explorer
CatandJim wrote:
1,000 posts on the RV Pet Health forum? Amazing!
:W

...and not one comment about 'overniting at Wal-Mart with dogs!...
:R

DON'T GO THERE!!
Regards

Gary

2003 F-250 Lariat CC 6.0 PSD
2004 Springdale 286 RLDS
3 goldens/2 yellow labs and

Dylan, the golden "Wonderdog",
Waiting at the Rainbow Bridge since 3-16-05

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Happytraveler wrote:
I'm so glad you had a great weekend with your family and Old Fellow. It sounds like everything went well. I was wondering did Old Fellow show any signs of wanting his freedom back or did he seem content just being with you, a very nice comfortable situation. He must love all the attention he is getting. He's one lucky dog.

I don't believe I could beat him away with a stick {and I wouldn't dare}! He is so attached to me at this point he doesn't want me out of his sight. While on one of our walks I fell on some slippery rocks. He immediately came up to me and wanted to know if I was okay. He had that look in his eyes "Are you hurt??". When I got up he wagged his tail to show his approval. He enjoys the walks we have together and that excites him and especially in the woods. He still wants to chase a rabbit or whatever, so I have to be careful of that. But to answer your question, Yes he like to be able to wander about, but he wants his dad with him and that is a big draw for him to stay at home.

Wife Sue

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I'm so glad you had a great weekend with your family and Old Fellow. It sounds like everything went well. I was wondering did Old Fellow show any signs of wanting his freedom back or did he seem content just being with you, a very nice comfortable situation. He must love all the attention he is getting. He's one lucky dog.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

Camper_Carl
Explorer
Explorer
Well Richard,
You have Pattie crying and me all chocked up. Thanks for sharing about your weekend with the flight and us of Old Fella. From what I hear in your stories is that you guys were made for each other. I don't believe in that this was just some dumb blind luck that brought you to together. I believe that the hands of GOD made this happen. All things happen in his time and in his way.

Carl & Pattie
payments on your RV.

GreenRiverGroun
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to hear the camping trip went smoothly and that Old Fella is feeling better! This entire thread just makes me hum that Judds tune - "Love can Build a Bridge"!
2005 Jay Feather 29Y
2004 Nissan Armada LE 4x4
5 Happy Campers
2 Camping Labs

CatandJim
Explorer
Explorer
One rescued dog, a man who loves him, & many people who care about their story. Priceless!

1,000 posts on the RV Pet Health forum? Amazing!
:W

I am so happy this many people have read this story, no doubt a few will be more willing to rescue a dog after hearing about Old Fella. A successful rescue story always makes my heart glad.

Cat

(Jim just reads the forum once in a while)

Our toys:
2003 Damon Ultrasport 3873
(picture on profile)
Boat = ProCraft Fish & Ski

Working our way toward retirement...wishing it was soon.

Tweeterbug
Explorer
Explorer
Pass the Kleenex...
2005 Rockwood 2603
1986 GMC Sierra Classic 2500 w/454

"So oftentimes it happens
that we live our lives in chains
and we never even know we have the key."