cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
I always seem to give my second greyhound Dot short shrift, but maybe it's because of the sudden nature of her passing. She was sweet, loving and shy, but she could be fierce in defending her "pack". Easter day, 2004, I volunteered to transport one of 8 greyhounds brought to Denver from a closed track in Harlingen, Texas, to a foster home. The night of the following day, Dot, Dash, Allan and I all went to sleep in our individual beds. Only 3 of us woke up the following morning. She was only 7 years old.

The good that came out of that terrible day: the dog I transported, a 21-month-old failure at racing school named Redline Design, became my Easter flower, Lily.
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
As long as we're reminiscing, here is one of my favorite photos. It shows my two GSDs together: Max, at 12 years near the end of his life and, Dash, at 3 months, near the beginning of his (with those ears you gotta love). The look-alike poses, taken in 1999 (when the Austin Powers movie came out that featured the evil clone "Mini-Me"), earned Dash the nickname "Mini-Max". The sofa that they are laying in front of was later destroyed by a 1-year-old Dash.

Max was my co-Heart dog, along with his long-time companion, and my first greyhound, Willow. This picture was taken in 1997, during a trip to Alaska with Max, Willow, and my Mom, whose jacket appears on the passenger seat in the picture. The dogs died in 1999, Mom had a stroke in 1998 and died in 2003.

Finally, no reminiscence could be complete without at least one picture of the Clown Prince of Greyhounds, the wonderfully wacky worker of weirdness, TV Allan. This picture shows Allan begging for a piece of Lily's birthday carrot cake as only he could. He died 5 years ago at the early age of 9 years from bone cancer, and I still miss him.
Gary Shapiro
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever

ByTheWind
Explorer
Explorer
Dasher on Donner, thats great!! haha. He looks like a great traveling partner too.

I've been meaning to post Micro in more areas to show where she's been, but always forget or she's snoozing at those time and I don't want to bother her or something.
I think this coming year when we start traveling again I'll have to do like you did with Dash. My absolute goal (far-fetched, but still a goal/dream) would be to have Micro held by Mike Rowe in front of a sewage plant or pig farm somewhere. lol!! (You have to be a Dirty Jobs fan to understand that one, hehe)

Unlikely, but a girl can dream, right? ๐Ÿ˜‰
Mother/Daughter team living full-time in an RV with
5 Cats, 2 Dogs, 2 Pigeons, 3 Toads & 2 Tortoises.
Changing our destination as the wind blows!
03/07/2011: 32 states and counting

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
Beautiful pictures of your fur and featherbabies, ByTheWind. The cat posing in front of the Eiffel Tower in Las Vegas reminded me of the time I crossed Donner Pass on the way to Yosemite, and decided to pose Dash (full name Dasher) in front of the sign just so I could caption it "Dasher on Donner" :R

Gary Shapiro

ByTheWind
Explorer
Explorer
Gary, thanks for the welcome! No clue how I managed to only find this forum now, I feel so behind the times. But better late than never, right?

With a fair warning, let me say you opened a can of worms now. lol! I love sharing photos of my furkids, past and present... oh, and my featherkids, and scalekids, and all my non-human family.
And I love viewing others' pics too, so will make a note to look over as many pages in this thread as I can.

I'll try to keep these photos small, assuming I do it correctly...

First off, a couple before pics of Chance, the slaughterbound guy I mentioned in my other post.

Around 500 pounds underweight, unknown age though estimated in late teens or early 20's, teeth all worn down from eating rocks, hooves split and cracked, covered in rainrot and various sores from flies, so weak the first night we got him the emergency vet figured he would be dead by morning. Next morning he was very much alive, but needed help getting to his feet. In the pic with the red trailer in the background, I was holding Chance's head up because he was too weak to even hold his head normally, that pic was taken less than 12 hours after we bought him.
The second pic up there was 3-4 months after we had him. His coat shed out and his rain rot cleared up pretty quick.

Yes, THIS bag of bones was my first true love. I adored that old man. ๐Ÿ™‚

Heres a shot of Chance less than a year after we had him, maybe 8-10 months after his purchase. The saddle is just decorative, he was never ridden, but you can see some weight gain and muscle improvements. He was also getting back into a winter coat which made him look a little fatter too, hehe. Sorry about the crappy photo, that was before I had a decent digicam.

Smartest cat and best traveling and hiking companion, Micro (named after Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs on TV). Seen here in Las Vegas. (On the roof of the Bellagio, with Paris' eifel tower in the background). She was a pick-up in Florida and has been with us through 20-something states. She's sleeping right next to me as I type this, actually. I consider myself more of a dog person in general, but this cat is awesome.

One of the two Pigeons we travel with. Yes, pigeons. Nothing fancy, like an African Grey or Cockatoo, but still very loving and fun to have around. We picked up a pair in Las Vegas back in June. This is the female, Pajamas.

Last pic, then I will stop hogging. ๐Ÿ™‚ A pic of my two canine kids. The Tibetan Spaniel (left side, arguably a Pekingese..?) is Chrissy, the Pug goes by many names including (but not limited to) Puggy, Frankie, Fatty, Egghead, Dummy and Goober depending on what she's doing at the time. Both joined the family here in Missouri around Christmas and have yet to travel out of state with us, both "rescues" in a way. Both the apparent product of backyard breeding kennels, though in better general condition than puppy-mill dogs... or so I hear.

Thought I had some pics of the toads in Photobucket but can't seem to find them. I'll snap some shots tomorrow if anyone cares to see them. ๐Ÿ™‚

Dogdiva, is "interesting" good? Might have been more interesting if the Grand Canyon was in the background, eh?...never did get there, by the way. Maybe this year or the next.

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
By The Wind
Welcome to the forum. Love to hear some of your adventures....Interesting picture of your rig
Elizabeth and Henry..... rescues

Crickett, Beau, Lady, Dixie, Batman, Penny, Bonnie Colleen, SouiX C, George, Willie, Pierre, Shandi. Honey, Patches ,Gumby...WAITING at the Rainbow Bridge

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
ByTheWind, welcome to the longest running, and best feel-good thread in the history of RV.net. You can talk about your horses all you want, we are all animal lovers here, and we truly care about any living creature that needs the love and care of a good human heart like yours. As for your current menagerie, I know of one member of this Forum who has traveled with a squirrel, but I don't know of too many who have toads (except for the kind towed behind their motorhomes).

All Things Bright and Beautiful
All Creatures Great and Small
All Things Wise and Wonderful
The Lord God Made them All
Gary Shapiro

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
Dandy Dan wrote:
By the Wind, I can relate to your stories. We had 4 horses at one time. We are down to 2 of them.

Me too! Small world ๐Ÿ™‚
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
By the Wind, I can relate to your stories. We had 4 horses at one time. We are down to 2 of them. Mine went to a good home in Indiana after I got hurt and couldn't ride him anymore. He was way too good to leave standing in the pasture. The other was our daughters show horse. He also has a great home living in a climate controlled barn. We had the opportunity to go and see him and it really tickled me because after being gone for around 3-4 years, he still remembered me. One of the ones we have left is our daughters first horse. He was 9 when we got him and it is now 29 and still seems to be in fairly good health. Our last one we got when he was turning 3. He had been groomed to be a BigLick Stallion Walker but his small feet could not hold the pads so he was gelded and shipped down the road. He is now closing in on 18.

We also have one of Richard's first rescues. He rescued 4 puppies from under a dumpster where they had been tossed with no food or water. What a good dog she has turned out to be. We also have a second one from Richard that someone had brought over to him that had been hit by some motor vehicle and left along the road for dead. She had been torn up pretty hard and had a dislocated hip. Other than being a little scared of things still, you would not know she had ever been hurt.

If you have the opportunity to get to Branson Missouri in June, we are having an Old Fella Rally starting June 15 (Wednesday) and ending the following Sunday. There will be folks from Ohio, Texas, Missouri, Indiana, Colorado and other states I can't remember right off. Just go to the Rallies and Gatherings area and look for the Old Fella Rally thread. We have about 20 rigs coming from all over. It should be the best one yet. Hope to get the chance to meet you.

I commend you for your efforts and God Bless.

Sarah

Anna
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

ByTheWind
Explorer
Explorer
I started reading over the start of this thread today, following the ups & downs of Old Fellow's story from years ago. Unfortunately, I didn't make it through all 1,809 pages!! I decided to skip right here to the last one though.

Probably a bit off subject since I see this mostly related to dogs & cats, but before my mother and I did the fulltime RV thing, we used to have the 20 acre Serenity Ranch in Missouri. We took in senior and slaughterbound horses... also took in goats, dogs, cats, orphaned calves, anything that needed a home at that time.

My first official horse experience was with an old equine; 500 pounds underweight when I purchased him for $15 at a slaughter auction. Took him the better part of 1 year but he gained around 350 pounds back. He died just short of 2 years with us due to heart failure. But he died in a home where he was loved, and he went out with his dignity. He never had to experience the horror of a slaughter factory.
He was my first horse, even though I had dreamed of getting a pony (as every little girl does) since I was old enough to walk. Chance was my first true love by which all other loves were measured. ๐Ÿ™‚

After Chance came several others. Some in good condition but at the end of their years, others in horrid condition, one blind in both eyes and deemed "dangerous" even though he turned into the absolute best horse I ever had the privledge of working with, one truly wild and untouchable which broke out two windows on the trailer ride home, and some just victims of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

On the same property we also raised American Miniature Horses; though now that I look back on it, that was probably a bit silly. Adding more to the world while I was taking in the unwanteds.

I have loads of before/after photos, but didn't want to spam up this thread since I see mostly cats/dogs here.

Just basically wanted to say THANKS to anyone and everyone that takes the time and effort to loved an unloved, whatever species it may be.

Gentle_Spirit
Explorer
Explorer
As far as the comment: "even if we can only save ONE dog, are worth all the effort"....

Makes me think of Mother Teresa, she said "If you can't feed one hundred people, then feed just one."

It's so true. Maybe we can't save all the strays or feed all the strays, but we can still help some.

My sister just adopted 2 cats from a local shelter - they were strays, and needed to be fixed, so she paid for it all and was told to come pick them up in a week. When she went back a week later, she was told she could have one of the cats, but the other one had developed an upper respitory infection so they didn't bother spaying her and they were planning to put her down the next day. My sister had a fit and said she had paid for the cat and technically it was hers, therefore they had no right to put her down. Long story short, she was able to bring the kitty home with medication. She had paid for the spaying, but she says that cat is NOT going back there! She'll have her own vet handle that and let the money she paid be a donation. How very sad that there are so many pets in shelters that if one gets sick, they just put it down instead of nursing it back to health. The kitty is less than a year old, long haired siamese - beautiful!

We need to do all we can to educate children about how important it is to spay/neuter pets. That's my mission! Maybe the next generation will be more responsible. It saddens me that I live in a very rural area, many people have outdoor "barn" cats, since the coyotes pick them off, these people don't bother with spaying/neutering these poor cats. I've had talks with people to no avail. They say they need the cats for rodent control. Why can't they put up owl boxes?
Carole Winch, husband George
Wolfie-Malamute/wolf mix
Tiger-cat/Spicey-cat

07 National Pacifica Diesel Pusher, 36'
05 Honda Pilot - toad

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Reminds me of Hobo and Mama.
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Hoops
Explorer
Explorer
Gary that is too funny
The Hoops. ED and Becky
Missy our little Bichon
2004 F350 V10
2005 Jayco Legacy 38RDQS

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
Molly is such a mix of warmth, bravado and insecurity. She loves to take Dash's dog bed at night if she can get there first. When we come downstairs to the family room, the first thing she does is look and see if Lily is on the center cushion of the sofa. If she isn't, she will get up there herself. If Lily is already there, she walks up to her, looks at her, looks at me, looks at her, looks at me...I say "Uh-uh". She then has to "settle" for one of the end cushions, complete with soft pillow. Life is rough.
Gary Shapiro

Hoops
Explorer
Explorer
You made his last few months worth living.
The Hoops. ED and Becky
Missy our little Bichon
2004 F350 V10
2005 Jayco Legacy 38RDQS