cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A heads up on power

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
On our caravaan, we had damage to some rigs due to bad power. It was a 160 V. I tell people to buy either a surge guard or progressive industries protector. I am going to have to be more specific in future as to what they specifically need to purchase. We had

1) a blown digital clock
2) a blown convertor board
3) a blown satellite receiver PVR

In the first 2 cases they had bought a cheaper device to protect against surges (made by surge guard, which was the casue of the issue, 4 of the rigs had bought a cheaper product also made by surge guard that only protects aginst surges). This does nothing for continuous high or low voltage. In the case of the satellite, they had the protector, but did not use it because it blocked the power (duh, that is what its supposed to do.)

I have ordered a replacement convertor board to be sent to Mexico Mike, and he will re ship it for me. I have the skills & tools to change it out.

In future, our policy witll be to inspect what everybody has at the border to make sure they have the correct type of protection before they cross.

For readers here, it should be a lesson in why you need to protect your rig against bad power. Just putting things like your fridge on gas won't cut it, just being plugged in can blow stuff in your rig even if they are not turned on.
166 REPLIES 166

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Talleyho69,

I hope you have excellent results from this one. Is the owner's manual the same?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Talleyho69
We just picked up our new unit here in Mazatlan. It is WAY more modern than the one we bought on Mercado Libre that didn't work. We have all of the paperwork for the warranty, too. The price was 3,150p.

If anyone else wants one, Maz Computacion can get them in no more than 4 days, once they have your deposit. The deposit is easy, once you are in the country. Contact Marcos Oscuna, he'll give you the bank account information, visit any branch, pay the deposit and the balance when you pick it up.

If anyone wants the phone number and/or e-mail address, just message us.

Talleyho69
How sold are we from the testimonials??? We made a deposit on a unit from one of the Sola dealers in Mazatlan, and will pick it up tomorrow.

We are currently in Tepic.

Thanks to those that have these units and have shared their experiences.

cross_country
Explorer
Explorer
"Has the unit helped me" Without a doubt, yes. I would go further than that; the unit thus far has done exactly what the instructions and pamphlet stated. Before I used the unit, the power went out many times a day and night. The hardwired surge protector was doing its job. Problem; my batteries were in need of replacement thus the auto gen start started the generator at all times of the day and night.

I went on a quest to find a regulator after a pile of research. Since installing the unit I have enjoyed uninterrupted 118 volts of power, for two seasons.

This park is wired in 3 sections, each section having 2 sites on a 75 amp main breaker. This season one section had a power issue. 8 rv's lost micro waves, refrigerators, converters and inverters. The 2 rv's that did not have any damage; one had the surge protector plugged in at the time.(he usually had it out of the system as his power kept going out) and the other RV had an ecowise in front of a surge protector. The surge protector was protected by the ecowise. The ecowise has a reset button which was used and the rv was back in business.

The eco wise is not at all like the sola by the pictures i have seen. The ecowise is constantly switching something without the use of heavy transformers but with a lot of electronics.

The unit states it will not use any more power than what is required at the time and that it will regulate incoming power from 85 to 145 volts. As I have said, I don;t know that yet by experience one because my power is always just about 118 and two because I have not measured the incoming voltage at all times.

Mary and Tom '86 Crosscountry Sportscoach
2000 Foretravel U320 4210

Talleyho69
Us, too.

We are putting half the price of a "new" one, with warranty, from Maz Computadoras as a deposit into their ban account tomorrow, and picking it up when we arrive in about a week. If something isn't right, we will definitely take you up on your kind offer. Thank you!

Has the unit really helped you? Our power here is so bad that our Progressive Industries EMS shuts us off about 30 times a day. Right now it is clicking off and on due to high power-other times, particularly mid afternoons, due to low. We'd like to just get things stable!

cross_country
Explorer
Explorer
I checked in Home Depot today and they have the 30 and 50 amp Power Green Ecowise for 7095 peso's (same price for the 50 and the 30) Just in case or if you just wanted to look at it ie take it out of the box. Or you may come over to Fernando a short step from Mar Rosa and look at mine.

Your Sola not working has left me mistified and confused.

Mary and Tom '86 Crosscountry Sportscoach
2000 Foretravel U320 4210

Talleyho69
It definitely does NOT work.

Just had a long talk with their technical support department. The unit that we received, although new is old. How old? No telling. It does not work. They recommend the XL 13 250, that retails for about 6,300p. We had been considering the 15 81 250 4000 for about 3000p. The difference seems to be the first one is 5000 watts, and the second, 4000. Decisions, decisions.

We'll have one of them waiting for us when we get to Mazatlan.

We have decided to go with the 4000, because the XL 13 250 weighs 50 pounds, and are working on having it in Mazatlan next week.

Talleyho69
It's all hooked up and running.

So far, we are a steady 118 according to our little plug in digital gauge. Positive thoughts!

It's been 6 hours, and it doesn't seem to be working. The power has already gone off 4 times, because it was too high. We have it mounted before our Progressive Industries EMS.

Guess tomorrow we'll see if there is an English speaker on their technical support line.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Thanks for the pictures!
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Talleyho69
Pictures of the unit

Talleyho69

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
corriente = current

entrada al interruptor general = entrance to the main switch

tierra = earth

naranja o verde = orange or green

Negro = black

gris o blanco = grey or white

salida a la instalacion = output to the installation
Regards, Don

Talleyho69
Here are the instructions, and in the next post, the photos of the unit.

I'll keep working on getting the other pages posted.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
For photos, use this, it's very simple, just drab your picture over and drop it in.

Simple way to post pictures

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.