cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Alaska Question.....What do do with the fish?

Bob__B
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the very early stages of planning an extended Alaska trip and will probably do a lot of fishing. Probably even do a charter trip to catch some halibut, etc.
I could visualize WAY more fish than I can store in the camper freezer.
Was wondering if having it processed and shipped back to someone might be an option.
Maybe consider having some salmon smoked.
Maybe consider canning some fish.

Anybody have experience with this?
2007 Lance 1181, 2013 Chevy 3500 DRW
33 REPLIES 33

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
You will pay quite a bit to have it processed, frozen and shipped. I went a few years ago and the processing was paid by the lodge I stayed at. Fed-Exing it home was about $3/lbs. We had 200 lbs of fish between my wife and I so it was a pretty penny just in shipping. However, if you stayed a few days at spots with a processing plant, I'd recommend doing it. Every day they take your fish and vac seal it and put it in a locker with your name on it. When you get ready to leave, you can establish a ship date. For example, if you knew you were going to be home in a week, they would ship on the specified date and you'd be home to receive it and handle it properly.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
If you're driving home through Canada with Alaska caught fish aboard, be warned: I had a fresh caught trout taken away from me by the CBP when entering from Washington State many years ago.

There must be ways now to bring fish across legally- so do find out about and adhere to those rules!
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
If you have more fish than you need, there is always the "moochers".
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moved to RVing in Canada and Alaska Forum.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke