cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ATM's Again!

Talleyho69
OK, we live here, but our pension funds have to be deposited into a US bank in dollars, so we are ATM users.

In the last few months things have changed, and yesterday we made a few discoveries. Hopefully this will help others.

Soriana has four ATM's. All but one charge about 33p per transaction, and all of them allow us to withdraw up to our US dollar limit in several transactions. Scotia Bank listed their fee yesterday as 100p, so we didn't use them.

Santander will let us get 8,000p per transaction, but just started stating the exchange rate. Yesterday it was 17.8. Two buttons, Accept or Decline, I pushed Decline and out came my card.

HSBC will also let us get 8,000 per transaction and started stating the exchange rate in January. Yesterday it was 18.4. Two buttons, Accept or Decline, I pushed Decline, and out came my 8,000p! Checked it at home, and including the transaction fee, the rate was 19.12. Interesting.

Banamex will let us get 6,000 per transaction and yesterdays rate was 19.2 including the transaction fee. They do not tell you what the rate is, we have to check it at home.

We found it to be fascinating, and will make a point of checking the rates before we go to get money in the future.
7 REPLIES 7

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
We try to use BanBahio. The atmcharges 26.5 pesos and usually I can get 9000 pesos. Bancomer is the worst. 80 pesos and only 6000 limit.
Moisheh

Talleyho69
A neighbor here has been doing her banking at BanNorte. As of last fall she has been getting a screen that states the exchange rate (low) and gives the Accept or Decline option. Next time she gets cash she'll push Decline and see what happens.

If you get your cash from an ATM all the time, a peso per dollar can really add up-especially if you are having a kitchen put in like we are!!

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Fancy footwork similar to the gasolineras.

Pemex gasolinera on the lista negra advertise the lowest liter prices. Crooked pumps, lowest price. The newcomers, ARCO, BP, Chevron charge a few centavos high and at least for now offer litros completos. There is no comparison which is the better bet. Litros completos ends up a 20 to 1 savings over a few centavos discount.

BanNorte got two chances at my VISA both times BanNorte rendered ten percent fewer pesos than BanaMex.

In this area HSBC rejects all but Mexican cards.

Finding out who does what is simple, just ask a neighbor in an RV park.

Belting_1313
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry US acoount and -.05 pesos from what ever the current exchange rate is.

Belting_1313
Explorer
Explorer
I have an account with Banorte and transfer funds from us account using XOOM. They charge 4.99 per transaction and about -.5 peso from current exchange rate. Then we can get up to 8,000 pesos per day at one of there ATM for no charge.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Another very accurate site is

https://www.oanda.com/currency/converter/

In the fine-tune adjuster window

select +/- 1% (not the 2% ATM rate)

Bancomer is another high-fee ATM site.

I gave up on the guessing game and use Banamex.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
https://themoneyconverter.com/USD/MXN.aspx

The rate shown above is 19.21. Very close to what other sites are showing.

Moisheh