cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avoiding freeze-ups while towing in very cold weather?

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
(I am posting this in the Alaska/Canada forum because this is not a DIY question -- it is "What do real Arctic RVers do?")

So that is the question -- when you are towing in very cold weather, do you run the furnace in your trailer? Do you run the heat tape off of the inverter? I know that when I am parked and I have hookups, I will be ok. (Actually, once I install my underbelly package I will be ok.) But when I am traveling during the day in mid-winter, what to do? What is the source of heat while rolling?

I understand that some folks travel with no liquids on board at all -- so there is nothing to freeze. And if I have to do that, I will. But it means that I'd have to refill my jerry cans every night and dump gray and black every morning, I guess.

Thanks in advance for your guidance! I am really trying to "Arctic proof" my little three-season trailer so we can travel at least to the Yukon, if not beyond, during the late fall, if not the dead of winter.

By the way, I have opted for "the Yukon," based on a survey of the residents of Yukon. 😉

The? Yukon
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
23 REPLIES 23

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
If the vents are clear you can run the furnace in transit.

www.ultraheat.com Combo pads work on 12v or 120v. Install is easier before the cover goes on.

My thread on circulating hot water.
Newest update: Connected a relay so when the furnace cycles on so does the pump. Manual switch also if desired.

For a real expedition I would also carry a third propane cylinder.

Ditto on all of this. Been there, done that; Northern Michigan to Death Valley, mid December through mid January.

Furnace on, all the time. Water heater on all the time. Burns a lot of propane YEP, battling mother nature is not cheap.

I have 240 watts of 12v heating pads on the holding tanks and a lesser wattage of AC heat Trace on the sewer pipes, valves and pump water line. A 100 watt bulb on a thermocube lives in the pump bay.

With temperatures in the teens and below, the generator runs almost 24x7 in the truck bed. Temps in the 20s and 30s I let the battery bank and inverter run everything, charging as needed.

Circulating hot water is a must have for very cold towing in my humble opinion. My system is computer controlled and comes on as needed based on water temp, outdoor temp and forecast temp.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll, that was a great link to your recirculator project! Unfortunately, some of the photos have died, probably when photobucket kicked the bucket.

And I see some folks addressing you as smk -- I won't use your full name. But I did not realize until now that you are the same person who used to be known as smk!

If I could engineer a way to use my water heater as a heat source for my pipes and tanks while in transit, that would be much more efficient than running my furnace and heating the entire cabin.
About our trailer

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
almcc, you are right that there are many fewer campgrounds. But some do stay open all year, with at least electric hookups. Gotta go see those Northern Lights!
About our trailer

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
Just a comment.

We have been up in the Yukon at the end of the summer, just before Labour Day and the RV camp grounds and the stores that were adjacent to them (for example in Watson Lake) were preparing to close for the season, offering sales on their canned goods etc.

You may want to check availability.

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
You could just travel with no liquids and flush with RV-anti freeze pink stuff.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the vents are clear you can run the furnace in transit.

www.ultraheat.com Combo pads work on 12v or 120v. Install is easier before the cover goes on.

My thread on circulating hot water.
Newest update: Connected a relay so when the furnace cycles on so does the pump. Manual switch also if desired.

For a real expedition I would also carry a third propane cylinder.

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
Vented cat (if you really need it)
Cal

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
With an enclosed underbelly, the furnace.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Furnace
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman