cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best route from Charleston, SC to Destin, FL

ascofield
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for best route from Charleston, SC to Destin, FL avoiding interstates wherever possible. Will be traveling week of February 16th. Thanks
Ansley & Susie
2008 Carriage Domani 302
2005 Dodge SLT Diesel Crew Cab
6 REPLIES 6

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Using google maps, Charleston to Waycross via 17/95/84 is 222 miles. Going through Garnett and catching 119 makes the same 222 miles so no distance added though time will be.

I know 119 runs through the heart of Ft Stewart. Did confirm that it is still a public road and usually accessible as such. But it does mean you will need to go through a security gate and probably your RV through an x-ray machine (I do this from time to time with my TC, no biggie). Plus you may have to deal with slow moving convoys, troops, etc. which could slow you down further. Though it would let you see a something a lot of folks in the US don't see. Of course, if you are retired military with id, you are familiar with the process.

You can easily avoid Ft Stewart by turning right on 280 at Pembroke, then left on 301 at Claxton(or 250 before Claxton). This only adds 7 miles but will be quicker and my recommended route after remembering about Ft Stewart.

On thing about southern GA, most of the through roads are very nice to travel on. Last year, DW and I visited every state park and most counties in GA south of Vidalia. Don't really remember a bad major road.

An alternative would be to follow this map to General Coffee SP. From the SP, turn right out over to Douglas and catch 31 down to 84.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
kohldad wrote:
I like fla-gypsy route pretty well. 84 through GA is almost like interstate except without the traffic and only a few traffic lights. Recently traveled 84 cross most of GA and was surprised at how many miles of open road there was.

I can get you off I-95 for those miles in SC if you want to take some country back roads. Not quick traveling, but nice if you enjoy the slow way. They are in pretty good shape and I've traveled most of them before. Where 17 joins I95, get on the frontage road down to Morgan Dollar Rd, right on 278, left on 462, right on321, the finally left on 119. Basically, Coosewatchie to Garnett. 119 runs down through Ft Stewart in GA and you can pick up 84 in Hinesville, GA.

Down near Waycross, GA you could take a few mile detour over to Laura S Walker state park for a relaxing night or two. This would be about 228 miles from Charleston, so an easy day. Will actually recommend any of the GA state parks.

Any idea how many miles the detour around I-95 would add? Thanks for that detail BTW. I love traveling the less crowded loads and loathe Interstate highways. My wife has become a pretty good navigator with a map once she figures out which way north is. LOL
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
I like fla-gypsy route pretty well. 84 through GA is almost like interstate except without the traffic and only a few traffic lights. Recently traveled 84 cross most of GA and was surprised at how many miles of open road there was.

I can get you off I-95 for those miles in SC if you want to take some country back roads. Not quick traveling, but nice if you enjoy the slow way. They are in pretty good shape and I've traveled most of them before. Where 17 joins I95, get on the frontage road down to Morgan Dollar Rd, right on 278, left on 462, right on321, the finally left on 119. Basically, Coosewatchie to Garnett. 119 runs down through Ft Stewart in GA and you can pick up 84 in Hinesville, GA.

Down near Waycross, GA you could take a few mile detour over to Laura S Walker state park for a relaxing night or two. This would be about 228 miles from Charleston, so an easy day. Will actually recommend any of the GA state parks.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

NHIrish
Explorer
Explorer
I would go 95 to 10. I think you will find that is the shortest.
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS

2010 Carriage Cameo 32-FwS
2008 Carriage Cameo
2006 Keystone Cougar
2005 Keystone Zeppelin
1999 Coachmen Catalina

2017 Ford F350 Powerstroke
Curt Q25

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock
:W

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
You will need to do a few miles on I-95 but the rest of the trip is Interstate free. If it were me, I would take US 17 south to I-95. South on I-95 to US 84. US 84 west to US 319. US 319 south to FL SR 20. SR 20 west to US 331. US 331 south to US 98. US 98 west into Destin Fl. I love the US highway system. Pleasant travels
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good luck not using some interstates. South of Savannah you could take 38... Hinesville /Waycross/Thomasville and then drop down to Tallahassee and 20 to near Destin.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...