cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Route to 29 Palms, CA

jamjrks
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have a preferred route from Boulder City, NV to 29 Palms, CA? Thinking US 95 south to CA 62 at Vidal Junction, then west into 29 Palms, but completely unfamiliar with this route. Thanks.
2008 Silverado 3500HD Crewcab, Big Dooley, Duramax
2016 Montana High Country 370BR
8 REPLIES 8

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
The route via 95, down to and through Needles is a good road, kind of like a roller coaster in places but not at all bad. When you come to #62 you'll take a right, but if your low on gas, a little bypass to Parker will get you gas about 30cents cheaper. From that intersection to 29 you really isolated but its a nice road.
Amboy is probably a little shorter and way more isolated if that is possible. And taking 247 out of Barstow is a great road and hits more towns, and not quite as isolated but a lot of back tracking to 29.

hermy
Explorer
Explorer
Personally I didn't care for the Amboy route much. There is certainly no traffic but the highway is pretty narrow with absolutely no shoulder. I kept wondering just what I would do if I had a flat tire or any trouble at all as there was no place to pull over. Lot's of tracks where people had pulled off and been stuck in the sugary sand. Also nothing to look at.

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
Been awhile.
Check:
95 to I-40
I-40 to Kelbaker Rd (then Nat'l Trails Hwy W. to Amboy)
Amboy Rd to 29 Palms

Maybe ask in Roads and Routes forum.

~

They are still showing road closures in the Amboy area, you may need to call to see if the roads have been opened. Amboy Area
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

jamjrks
Explorer
Explorer
Drove across CA-62 from Vidal Junction last Sunday with a horrendous cross wind from the north. Road good, but wavy. No issues except for the cross wind.
Very little traffic. And when the blowing sand would subside, the scenery was good. Thanks for the feedback.
2008 Silverado 3500HD Crewcab, Big Dooley, Duramax
2016 Montana High Country 370BR

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
We have travelled 62 over to I 10 and a few other routes in that area,usually not very busy , single lane,55/60 mph,good roads.

64thunderbolt
Explorer II
Explorer II
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
Been awhile.
Check:
95 to I-40
Amboy Rd to 29 Palms

~

A little shorter and no traffic you are on your own
Glen
04 Tail gator XT 34' 5th wheel garage model
200w solar 2 GC2's 800w inv
Truma tankless WH
99 F350 CC DRW 7.3 ais intake, adrenaline hpop, JW valve body,
cooling mist water inj, DP tunes, 4" exh sys
trucool trans cooler added
2011 RZR 900xp

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Been awhile.
Check:
95 to I-40
Amboy Rd to 29 Palms

~

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
Needles to Vidal Junction is an OK highway. Vidal Junction to 29 Palms is much better, as I recall.