cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best route

2CAJUNS
Explorer
Explorer
Traveling to Amarillo via I20 from Shreveport. What is best route to take thru Dallas/Fort Worth area? Pulling my 5th wheeler and want to avoid toll roads. Thanks
6 REPLIES 6

2CAJUNS
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the information. Heading out in the morning on way to Grand Canyon (north rim), Bryce and Zion, then Colorado to end of Sept.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
southernsky wrote:
We always go around Dallas by taking 69 out of Tyler up to 82 then 287 to Amarillo

BB.Tex wrote:
Many people do take US 69 north from I-20 at Lindale to US 82 west just north of Bells. All good road, but numerous small towns, smaller highways, slower speed limits, and traffic lights, but little traffic.

Some recommend 69 up to US 380 west at Greenville, then across thru McKinney/Denton/Decatur to 287 north. But the section from McKinney to Denton has become so traffic laden and so many traffic lights (about 45 last count in that 35 miles) that I would not recommend it.

All good comments. Strongly agree with BB_TX about 380 which was my favorite route for years.

I do have an alternative from Shreveport which is only 9 miles more than the route following US 69. You could take I-49 up to Texarkana (loop around west) and pick up US 82 there. Loop around Paris, TX and not too many stops.

I will make this comment: Sherman is one of the easiest towns to get through, hardly a slowdown. Gainesville, just down the road, is one of the worst. Still, US 82 remains my pathway to US 287.

Moved from FORUM POSTING HELP AND SUPPORT

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I would just stay on I-20 around the south side of Dallas to Ft Worth. Then I-35W up to 287 north. And do it during mid day to minimize traffic. Construction on I-35W is supposedly "97% complete".

Many people do take US 69 north from I-20 at Lindale to US 82 west just north of Bells. All good road, but numerous small towns, smaller highways, slower speed limits, and traffic lights, but little traffic.

Some recommend 69 up to US 380 west at Greenville, then across thru McKinney/Denton/Decatur to 287 north. But the section from McKinney to Denton has become so traffic laden and so many traffic lights (about 45 last count in that 35 miles) that I would not recommend it. Although it is very good highway.

Just a matter of driving preference.

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
We always go around Dallas by taking 69 out of Tyler up to 82 then 287 to Amarillo. Takes a little longer but stays out of the big city and we like byways
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
Take I20 straight through, it skirts the south side of the metroplex for the most part.