cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Canadian Route 17 Montreal to Sault Ste Marie

Tonijim
Explorer
Explorer
We're attending a wedding near Petoskey MI in September driving the motorhome from Boston. Rather than using the NY Thruway which we dislike, we were thinking af going north through Montreal, then west on Canadian 17 through Sault Ste Marie. It looks a bit longer, but the thruway to Buffalo and thru to Windsor/Detroit leaves us cold.

Is the northern route via Cdn 17 a viable alternative?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Jim
2 REPLIES 2

63-Coupe
Explorer
Explorer
Very viable, it is part of the Trans Canada Highway. There is now a by pass around Montreal that makes life easier. Once you enter Ontario from Quebec you can either stay on 417 to past Ottawa or exit just before Hawkesbury if you want to follow the old highway 17 route that follows the river. If you stay on 417 you will pretty much be on a 4 lane divided highway until a ways past Ottawa where it becomes 2 lanes essentially the rest of the way to S.S.Marie. Just remember your passports.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
It sure looks like a viable route to me, albeit at least a few hours longer. It has been a long time since I travelled along the Trans-Canada highway, but I do remember it being a quite nice (scenic) drive and a good enough road.

I-80 would be another alternative, a little longer/slower than I-90 but quicker than going all the way through Canada.