cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Caravanning through Mexico

Sprinter_Van_RV
Explorer
Explorer
I am interested in connecting with other RV folks who will be RVing through Mexico in mid to late September. I’ll be heading ultimately to Oaxaca and then Pan American Highway at a relaxed pace. Again, am looking to connect with other RVers through Mexico for safety/security purposes. Am open to other thoughts and ideas as well. Thank you.
9 REPLIES 9

moonstone
Explorer
Explorer
If you are on Facebook there are several groups you can join and get great information from. There is even a 'Travel Buddies on the road in Mexico' where you can find people to travel with. The 'On The Road In Mexico'(Bill Bell's group) was a great source of information for our trip last winter.

iguana07
Explorer II
Explorer II
Different strokes for different folks!
Chuck n Sandy
Roxy the Kelpie and Kiki the cat.

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe I was confused by the wording of the question - they asked about companions for "safety/security" but also mentioned Pan American Highway which to me sounds like they will continue on beyond Mexico. My reply meant to address the "safety/security" subject - we do not feel we need that in Mexico anymore than we might in the US. But to me traveling further south than Mexico would be a most definite "safety/security" concern - in fact at this point in time I would not go to most of the Central America countries though we have been in the past. The vast majority of the violence we hear about in Mexico has to do with drug gangs killing other drug gangs. There may be other crime but it is no more of a concern to us than what happens in the US.

The original poster has not responded to any of the responses so we don't really know what they want or if maybe they changed their minds or are not that serious about it. I think they need to tell us more about their plans/hopes/dreams to get better answers to their questions.

Talleyho69
Personally, we like it by ourselves! More adventures when things happen.

iguana07
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think its great to travel with another. Have broken down and it was good to have another helper there.
Chuck n Sandy
Roxy the Kelpie and Kiki the cat.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
you know not all first timers are comfy with going it alone first time. I think this may be a person who phoned me last night with ULSD questions.

south-of-the-bo
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of free information available on the adventuretrek.com site, from usa to argentina
RVing through the Americas
North-Central-South

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
September is a little early. Most don't start heading down into Mexico until Mid-Oct to Late Nov. Keep trying as there is always a chance!

rocmoc n AZ
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
You don't really need to go with others for safety or security. We have been roaming around Mexico during winter months for over 10 years and never had a problem (first camping trip through Mexico in 1971 and many other trips since then - regulars for at least 10 years now). There are a number of websites where you can learn where you can park an RV - RV parks - campgrounds - we sometimes stay in Pemex stations though rarely. You need to figure out your route and then ask specific questions here to plan where you will stay and what you will do. Personal opinion - Belize - Honduras - El Salvador - Guatemala - all have far more crime and are far more dangerous than Mexico - those are places I would want to ask for help.

This website has road logs and a whole lot more for learning about travel in Mexico . . . http://www.ontheroadin.com/the-app-store/ . . . we bought their logs years ago and printed them out in a loose leaf notebook where we continue to write our own notes and updates.

These folks . . . http://www.rollinghomes.com/ . . . wrote great books about camping in Mexico but they haven't written a new one for several years now. But the book is still useful and the website has updates to the books sent in by those who travel Mexico.

Maybe other people will post more tips. Tell us more about your plans and where you want to go and what you want to do. We have never caravaned with anyone and know many others who also roam around Mexico on their own - we like the freedom of moving on our own. We hope to be heading down after Thanksgiving (too hot before then) so we can't help you much on your scheduled travel dates.