cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crossing into Mexico with a F350 one ton dually and boat

DJB66
Explorer
Explorer
I have been reading on here and many other forums that anything over 3.5 tons can't cross into Mexico. I was trying to plan a trip Crossing at Nogales, getting on the Ferry at Topolobampo getting off a La Paz. Then getting the boat the the marina in Capo. I have read that a special permit can be purchased but cant find anything on the web. Has anyone here taken a F350, 4 door, 8 foot bed dually pulling a 8,000 lb trailer into Mexico? Or do I need to change my plans. Any help would be helpful. Thanks Dave
8 REPLIES 8

DJB66
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the feed back. I learning from this as I go.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
You will need a 10 year permit for the boat. You will also need a Federal TIP for the truck. You can get that at the border. I am not up to date on the ferry. At one time it was a big PIA. Commercial vehicles get priority. You might have to sit there until a ferry has space. It is very expensive for your setup.

Moisheh

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
kca87 wrote:
We took an F350 one ton dually with a 5th wheel trailer - Alpenlight 29RK weight around 14,000 pounds. We cross a Tecate near San Diego and come straight down the Baja to La Paz.

I don't know the requirements for other parts of Mexico - we are in the "frontera" an do not need the TIP for the time being. I also do not know the requirements for the ferry.

If you are coming all the way to La Paz, you could ask on the La Paz Gringos Forum (a yahoo group) in case someone has taken the ferry with a boat.

There are no restrictions on Baja

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Ok here is the scoop. We sent 2 lawyers to Mexico City this summer to try and straighten this issue out. We believe we did, but it appears the word has not got out to some crossings. Nogales does not appear to be one of them. I crossed there a week ago with a 1 ton and so have several others. At worse they will send you over to the Aduana (opens at 9 AM) who will inspect the truck and determine it is not a commercial vehicle. The actual rules state 3500 Kg (7710 Lbs) cargo capacity, not GVW, and you can download the SAT regs on that at my site http://www.mexicocaravan.com/permits/Vehicle-Imports-SAT

I believe its page 22

The trailer, they will add to the vehicle permit, I am not sure how the boat works.

Please provide feedback on how it went.

tony_lee
Explorer
Explorer
There was a couple of comprehensive topics on this subject here two or three weeks ago and it was not an insignificant problem for some unlucky travellers.

Supposedly mostly resolved but the operative word is "mostly" so people are sensible in being cautious.

http://forums.woodalls.com/Index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29102502.cfm

http://forums.woodalls.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29028437.cfm
Tony
Lots of photos with comprehensive captions at MY PICASA Album
Spotwalla map of our travels - Our Travel map

DJB66
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I miss understood the wording of the 3.5 tons ruling. My truck weighs more then 7000 lbs or is that a cargo weight?

kca87
Explorer
Explorer
We took an F350 one ton dually with a 5th wheel trailer - Alpenlight 29RK weight around 14,000 pounds. We cross a Tecate near San Diego and come straight down the Baja to La Paz.

I don't know the requirements for other parts of Mexico - we are in the "frontera" an do not need the TIP for the time being. I also do not know the requirements for the ferry.

If you are coming all the way to La Paz, you could ask on the La Paz Gringos Forum (a yahoo group) in case someone has taken the ferry with a boat.

Leeblev
Explorer
Explorer
I don't understand your post. You say that there is a restriction on vehicles over 3.5 tons, and question whether or not your 1 ton vehicle can go into Mexico. I can assure you that many, many F350 duallys as well as 3500 duallys go into Mexico daily. Your 350 is not a 3.5 ton vehicle.
Lee

2001 36' Kountry Star DP