cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Custer S.D. in Sept

tbritt580
Explorer
Explorer
Headed out the first week of Sept from Austin Tx, any ideas of a route that is RV frindly.
6 REPLIES 6

tbritt580
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to one and all....your inputs have widend my choices and all good ones, based on round trip we'll be able to see more both ways.

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ditto to 385 from amarillo all the way up
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
As Thom, said.

Just to add a little. We stayed at the campground in Nebraska's National Forest for awhile. It's unbelievable. It is a man made forest planted many, many years ago. If you go that route, the area between the national forest and Chadron, which has a nice park also, you will travel through the Sand Hills of Nebraska. Lots old western. history there. Also, west of Chadron, not to far, is Fort Robinson S.P. It is well worth a side trip if you have the time. Camping, museum and old historic sites located in the area. Fort Robinson started out as a trading post, became a fort used during the Calvary days right up and through WWI and WWII.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
tbritt580 wrote:
Headed out the first week of Sept from Austin Tx, any ideas of a route that is RV frindly.

Depending on your time frame, consider US 385 all the way up from Lubbock area to Custer. You'll go through the Colorado Outback area (extreme eastern Colorado) and into Nebraska near Julesburg CO. I did the Nebraska/South Dakota portion last week, it's a good road, not heavily travelled and good for RV travel. Only real steep part (relatively speaking) is in the area of the Nebraska National Forest between Chadron and Alliance, a beautiful and unexpected area of Nebraska. Some ups/downs, but there's passing lanes. Once in SD, there's a climb of sorts up to Hot Springs, but it's a good road, again having climb lanes available. From Hot Springs to Custer is an easy drive and beautiful scenery.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Just a personal opinion and preference, but I would rather swing over to Lubbock (or Childress), Amarillo and up through Colorado on I-25 than to go up through Oklahoma, Kansas, and Nebraska; but you will find others with a different opinion. Depends on whether you have time and inclination to see some other areas along the way. It really boils down to a personal choice.

BTW, we spent a week in Custer, SD at the Custer's Gulch RV Park and found it a great base to see all the great attractions in the area.

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
Can't answer about the best route for you. But I can tell you September is one of the best times to enjoy the area around Custer S.D. We have been camping at Custer S.P., SD every year for the past 14 years. We join others from around the state of SD and some from other states, in the same campground every year.