cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custer SP south to Wind Cave NP on 87

True_Romance
Explorer
Explorer
Just finishing up my route planning for our 6 NP tour this month. Traveling through the Black Hills and seeing Custer SP and down into Wind Cave NP, where we plan to stay the night. How is 87 south of 16A for a class C 32 ft? I have read to avoid the Needles and Iron Horse Hwys because of the tight curves and tunnels. Is 87 in this section okay?

TIA
5 REPLIES 5

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I found the Wind Cave campsites small, cramped, overcrowded, and loud. We camped at the Sylvan Lake cg in Custer SP and found it the same plus not close to the lake and with no SP dump station for more than 20 miles. Our favorite cg wasn't even in the Black Hills. It was just SE of Hot Springs at Angostura State Recreation Area.

We drove the Needles section from Sylvan Lake to Mt. Rushmore in our truck and really enjoyed the scenic drive. But because we were almost alone with the herd, we enjoyed driving through the buffalo more at Wind Cave NP than at Custer SP (also just in the truck). And we loved the guided tour at Jewell Cave NM, while the Wind Cave tour was just so-so.

All-in-all, we enjoyed the Black Hills, but some sights and campgrounds were obviously better than others for us. Fortunately, not everyone likes the same things we like.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Only thing that might bother you is Mt Coolidge. When you come off 16A it gets pretty steep for a mile or two up and the same down. You could get on the Game Loop near Game Lodge CG and come around to 87. Narrow and curvy but lots of buffalo and animals running loose.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
Custer and Wind Cave connect. Once you start to head out of the park and get past Bluebell Lodge it's smooth sailing from there. The Needles are on the other side of the park.

True_Romance
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much Texas Shadow, exactly the information I needed.

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
87 south of 16A is fine. It's a senic byway and part of the park wildlife loop, so it isn't a fast route, but it's a good road.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.