cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

East Coast trip report 11/09-10 Alamo to Catemaco

keelhauler1
Explorer
Explorer
My first road report started in Harlingen, TX- Read this RVnet link.
Border Crossing 11/6- Road Condition Report
After spending 3 days in the mountains around Ciudad Valles, we decided to head though El Higo and take MX129 to Alamo south of Tampico instead of going back to Tampico to head south. Lots of water and road damage on these small roads until we got past Alamo.

Then it was clear sailing on MX180/MX180D past Poza Rica to the Emerald Coast. MX180 by all the campgrounds had a lot of pot holes. But after Nautla, they repaved the road all the way to the Cardel cuota. It was an easy drive on smooth road. It was Sunday morning when we passed here and there was no truck traffic. Other days or later in day may not be as good but we made good time.

We stayed on MX180 all the way to Catemaco. We like Tepetapen campground and Gene the owner, so we like to take this curvy roads up into the low mountains.

They are still putting the new bridge near the airport turnoff in Vera Cruz, looks like maybe next year that could be completed. The MX180 bridge is out again at Boca del Toro so a little detour around that bridge is required.

We ran into no other driving problems on these East coast routes, I still can't see why you would want to drive up those high mountains around Orizaba to avoid the nice flat roads along the coast,

There was not one police or military stop along the last two days of driving.
John

All my Mexico Trips
-------------------------------------------
1 REPLY 1

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
I hope we keep getting more reports like this from the East coast. I worked in Matamoros two months ago and met teachers who came up from Valle Hermoso and San Fernando. They said they drive frequently between their towns and the border with no issues.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog