cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fall trippin is good trippin

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Just starting off on a 6 - 8 week wander. We spent the last 6 months wrestling with home renos. Now that that's done we are off. Going to meet up with another RV.Net member in two weeks and spend 3 weeks in Montana and Wyoming. My Red Headed She Devil is flying into Calgary first week of September, and we'll do Waterton, Glacier and then on to horse country. We are hoping for Yellowstone too, but man, camping is sparse after Labour Day..that or grounds are full.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/
7 REPLIES 7

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
I should've posted a pic of the truck...if you see this going by, honk or throw something.

Be into Waterton on Friday the 5th and down to St Mary's on the 7th and then it's Montana and Wyoming. Keeping my eyes open for a Testy Festy, too. Want to try the Rocky Mountain Oysters and am hoping that the Cody party has them.

Gary Haupt

daily_double
Explorer
Explorer
Which ever way you go Gary, be sure to have a safe and fun trip! We are leaving Fairbanks Mon. or Tue and heading south. I've enjoyed you takes on tripping Alaska! Maybe we'll see you around Yellowstone. We purchased a brick at the West Yellowstone historical center and want to see it in place.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I was in the area about that time in 2010. Look at the travel photos in the signature link. The dates are on the Albums Titles as well as on the photos.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
If you are going to be in Cody on Sept. 18, it is going to be a busy place. See below from the Chamber of Commerce Web page:

"Thursday, September 18, 2014
Boot Scootin' Boogie: Part of Rendezvous Royale week. Thursday night traffic comes to a halt on Main Street as Cody businesses celebrate the arts with a street festival that showcases our thriving local art community, unique boutiques, and outstanding businesses of the region.

Friday, September 19, 2014
33rd Annual Buffalo Bill Art Show and Sale: The Buffalo Bill Art Show & Sale is a fine art sale with a Western theme. All works are original art. The Sale benefits the prestigious Buffalo Bill Center of the West and is held in conjunction with the Center's Patrons Ball and Cody High Style, all part of Cody's annual "Rendezvous Royale." At the Saturday morning Quick Draw, guests enjoy breakfast then observe nearly thirty painters and sculptors at work in the Robbie Powwow Garden to complete a piece in one hour."
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
DFresh..thanks for that info. I am going to forward that along to our pals..he is doing the planning.

fanrgs..thanks too. We'll be in Glacier the 7th..Waterton the 5/6, so have the To-The-Sun open still.

Cody for the 18th tho..Festival and new 2 stage furnace install.

Gary Haupt

Dfresh
Explorer
Explorer
In the midst of planning our trip through Yellowstone, on our way back to Ontario from Alberta, and found that several sections of the loop road inside Yellowstone will be closing in early, or mid Sept.
At the bottom end of the loop, (where it would be easiest to get from Fishing Bridge Campground, to Old Faithful) will be closed Sept. 1 for a bridge replacement. Going to make for a more difficult trip when we go, but I don't feel like changing destinations at this point.
Figured it might be a good FYI as well, but just below Mammoth inside the park, that section of the loop road will be closed for the season as of Sept. 16.
Getting around would be hard after that, luckily for us we'll be leaving before the 16th so that closed portion wont effect us.

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
Yea, we've been to all those parks in September and found that availability is really hit-or-miss. You are undoubtedly aware that the Going-to-the-Sun Highway in Glacier NP closes for the season on Sept. 21. Tea at the Prince Edward Hotel at Waterton Lakes NP is also out after mid-Sept. as the hotel closes for the season at that time. We didn't realize that the last time we were there and regretted not being able to go inside. The Yellowstone NP campgrounds begin shutting down on Sept. 1 and all but the Madison are closed by Sept. 21. And even the Old Faithful Inn closes on Oct. 5, but is a great place for lunch if you get there in September. But no matter the time of year, don't miss the Buffalo Bill Historical Center in Cody--it is well worth a couple of nights in a private RV park.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel