Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flatlander going to Yellowstone

GoRiders
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

First post along with first trip out of the prairies pulling the trailer. DW and I are planning to visit Yellowstone in August. My experience in mountain driving has all been with 1 ton vans pulling light trailers or 1 ton moving vans through the CDN Rockies from Calgary to Kelowna.

Our rig is a 2010 F150 (5.4,6spd,3.55) pulling a KZ Sportsman TT (#5000 loaded)so this will be a new experience for me.

Our intention for a one day pull is to start out in Great Falls MT, head down through Helena and Bozeman into Gardiner. Inside the park we were thinking the route would be Mammoth to Norris, Norris to Canyon, Canyon to Fishing Bridge.

Any hints you can give me about grades or other considerations along that route would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
2010 F150 SCrew 4x4 5.4,6spd,3.55 #7200
2012 Sportsmen S202SRB #5000
7 REPLIES 7

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the info.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
check out the latest health warnings on yellowstone/tetons.
bumpy

GoRiders
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone, sounds like it should be a good trip.
2010 F150 SCrew 4x4 5.4,6spd,3.55 #7200
2012 Sportsmen S202SRB #5000

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I went across I-90 and down 89 into the North entrance. no white knuckles there.
left the south entrance towards the Tetons.
bumpy

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
you won't have any trouble going in from Gardiner and there's nothing scarey inside the park...aside from lots of traffic and some wildlife maybe on the road or people stopped to look at a bear or eagle nest or whatever.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

ClaireOKC
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you already know the ins and outs of this....we ran across one road, Chief Joseph Highway (from outside Cooke City, MT to Cody, WY) is not recommended for over 40', however our truck & trailer were 42', but because it's not one unit (articulated), it could make the turns fine.

Grades are one thing (and they are quite a bit near Gardiner/Mammoth - as well as Dunraven Pass, Sylvan Pass and Beartooth Pass), but the hairpin turns are another. Once you camp your trailer, then you can take these other passes (Dunrave, Sylvan inside the part and Beartooth outside), which are all scenic drives and worth the effort.

The Tower Junction to Tower Falls road is a mess - Mon-Thu is a pilot car with 30+ minute wait, on Fri-Sun two-way, but very rocky and hard - the reward - lots of black bears in the area!

We just left, and was a great year for bears - have fun!
We'd rather be out traveling, but I still work so we're part-timers.
This is our Facebook page and
CWUAP Blog is where I blog about our trips

DesertHawk
Explorer
Explorer
Just a little grade from Gardiner to Mammoth; nothing much to Norris, nor Norris to Canyon, mostly down from Canyon to Fishing Bridge.
:CDesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp