cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

florida Keys

mickey48
Explorer
Explorer
We have our site booked for Bluewater rv resort. Now looking for recommendations on driving route from Lexington ky. Also we would like to spend 2 nights in the miami area before making the final drive into the keys.
8 REPLIES 8

BigMac
Explorer
Explorer
First, Good News... As reported on TDOT, "I-75 South Reopens to Traffic Following Rockslide in Campbell County" - See more at: http://www.tn.gov/tdot/news/38148

NB schedule still remains on or before March 24, but at least getting through there from the North doesn't entail a detour around the rock slide area anymore.

We went down to Blue Water Key RV Resort three years ago from Cincinnati. On the way down, we stayed at the KOA in Cartersville, GA. Reasonable price, nice owners, very convenient, but not right on I-75 South. A good stopping point.

2nd stop was at Paynes Prairie Preserve State Park just on the south side of Gainesville in a town called Micanopy. Beautiful park, nice sites, very convenient to I-75. Great stop over place as well.

Next stop was Outdoor Resorts of Chokoloskee in the 10,000 Islands area immediately west of the Everglades. Beautiful RV resort with great access to the Everglades. I highly recommend it. I'd take the opportunity to visit the Everglades as well if you can plan a day or two for it in your trip. Take the tram tour from the Shark Valley Visitor Center on the North side of the Everglades. It is a must see. Just make sure you take the 1st tour of the day. That is the time of day when all the wildlife is out.

Have fun. We loved Blue Water Key by the way.

Mike and Cindy

FMCA / Good Sam Member
2016 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34 PA
2010 Pontiac G6

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Any of the Broward County Parks is an excellent stop. We stayed at TY and Markham in Feb & Mar 2015. Markham is much more rural/ quieter than TY.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

rstoro
Explorer
Explorer
Check out C.B.Smith Park in Pembroke Pines Fl. It is on the way to the keys and not to far from Miami. A very nice county (Broward County ) park. Easy access to the highways.

mickey48
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry guys, not concerned about rock slide. just deciding 95 or 75. also good options for places to stay around Miami, and maybe valdosta

BobKrogstie
Explorer
Explorer
TNGW1500SE wrote:
BobKrogstie wrote:
Use https://www.google.com/maps to generate a route and modify it if you don't like it. Google has already taken the I-75 rock slide closure of I-75 into consideration.

Just tried google maps and it wants to go 75 through the rock slide.

Negative. Google Maps shunts you off I-75 @ Exit 160 to Jellico, then south on SR-297 to Pioneer where you pick up SR-63 and then back on I-75 @ Exit 141. You could also take US-25W @ I-75, Exit 160 thru Habersham and LaFollette and rejoin I-75 @ Exit 134.
Bob and Natalie
2008 Grand Junction 37QSB
2009 Dodge 3500DRW Big Horn 4X2/CC/LB/CTD/4:10/Auto

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
mickey48 wrote:
We have our site booked for Bluewater rv resort. Now looking for recommendations on driving route from Lexington ky. Also we would like to spend 2 nights in the miami area before making the final drive into the keys.

Look at taking 27 out of Lexington all the way down to interstate 40. Then east on 40 to 75 south.

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
BobKrogstie wrote:
Use https://www.google.com/maps to generate a route and modify it if you don't like it. Google has already taken the I-75 rock slide closure of I-75 into consideration.

Just tried google maps and it wants to go 75 through the rock slide.

BobKrogstie
Explorer
Explorer
Bob and Natalie
2008 Grand Junction 37QSB
2009 Dodge 3500DRW Big Horn 4X2/CC/LB/CTD/4:10/Auto