Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Forest fire causing closures in Banff National Park, Alberta

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Headline: Spreading Creek Wildfire Rips Through Banff National Park
Date: July 15, 2014

A wildfire straddling the border of Banff National Park is burning faster than officials have seen in years.

Hot temperatures and low humidity and precipitation has caused the so-called Spreading Creek wildfire to rip through 6,800 hectares of land so far โ€” about 2,500 of that in the northeast area of the national park.

The fire, however, is a controlled burn, with 150 firefighters, 12 helicopters and various heavy equipment being used to manage the blaze, according to Alberta Environment and Sustainable Resource Development.

Officials told 660 News the fire now covers an area the size of Red Deer.

Alberta Wildfire Information Officer Geoffrey Driscoll says the fire, which is contained, is in an area where they were planning to do a prescribed burn. There is no urgency to put it out, he said.

The blaze, which was sparked by lightning on July 3, has caused several backcountry and highway closures, including intermittent closures the Highway 93 North, also known as the Icefields Parkway.

Parks Canada officials told the Calgary Herald closures on the Icefields Parkway could continue for the next six to eight weeks, but they will aim to keep it open from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. when traffic is busiest.

For more information on highway closures, click here.

For more information on campground closures, click here

This article is at
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/07/14/spreading-creek-wildfire-banff_n_5584749.html
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!
5 REPLIES 5

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
As of 5:30 am this morning the Hwy (Ice Fields Parkway) is OPEN

They ask that you try and drive the part around Saskatchewan crossing before 2 pm when Forrest Fires ussally become more active. as of 05:30 Pacific time ( 06:30 forrest fire time) the fire was stagnate and not very active at all at the time of the interview on CBC. However, as you people who have been in the area of Saskatchewan Crossing will know how windy it can get especially on the Hwy 11 leg towards Rocky Mountain House.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

Dfresh
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah it's super up here. Haven't been able to see the mountains from town in nearly a week for the haze. Air quality isn't great either, which is not cool, when its this hot. Pretty much have to open all the windows at night to cool the house down.

Hope it rains soon.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi sue,

I'm headed down to Cranbrook via Radium Hotsprings, so I think I'll be ok.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Coquihalla Highway in B.C. is also having fire problems
http://www.kelownanow.com/news/news/Local_News/14/07/15/Fire_on_the_Coquihalla
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi sue-t,

Thanks,

I was considering doing the highway 93 route. I guess it will have to wait for next year.

I'm at Golden, BC and heading south for work. There is a fair bit of smoke in the air even though there was a reasonable rain fall on Monday.

Sunday it was 41 C in Peachland. It got so hot I moved from shore power at a clients home to the generator.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.