cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Grand Canyon to Denver, 16ft Penske truck + car carrier

Kb837
Explorer
Explorer
Weโ€™re driving a 2023 Penske 16โ€™ truck pulling a car carrier w/ 2000 Cr-V on it.
Weโ€™re starting in Phoenix, going to southern rim of Grand Canyon & then to a friends in Blanco, NM (near Farmington, 45 min S of Durango). Want to go from friends to Wind of the Caves S of Denver. Looking for nice route. Husband is comfortable driving truck & trailer, but Iโ€™m not keen on mountain passes that might be scary for first time driving such a set-up. Friend suggests 160 E, looking for other suggestions
4 REPLIES 4

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
NMDriver2 wrote:
Blanco is on 64 so just follow it to Chama. Then 17 to Antonito 285 to Alamosa 160 Walsenburg I-25 North, just as google suggests. Easy pass between Chama and Antonito as is La Vita on 160 east bound.

^^^ This. There's 2 passes on CO 17 at the state line and just north -- Cumbres Pass and LaManga Pass. Not difficult at all, and when you drop down from LaManga there's a beautiful drive down a valley to where it opens up towards Antonito. If you time it right, you can get some great pictures of the Cumbres and Toltec Railroad and train as it passes through Cumbres Pass.

If you're talking about Cave of the Winds, that's outside Colorado Springs on US 24 near Manitou Springs. You could stay on US 285 to Alamosa, go EAST through town and pick up CO 17 again, which goes north and picks up with US 285 before you get to Poncha Pass, continue north on US 285 past Salida and pick up US 24 east of Johnson Village (Buena Vista area). Another relatively easy drive, there's a climb outside of Johnson Village but it's not a bad climb. US 24 splits off US 285 at Antero Junction and goes all the way to Colorado Springs. Cave of the Winds and Manitou Cliff Dwellings are close together so you could do both. We enjoyed both when we were in the area.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Kb837
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all so much. Watched music video of Convey with movie highlights; hoping out trip is slightly less adventurous as movie??

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
Blanco is on 64 so just follow it to Chama. Then 17 to Antonito 285 to Alamosa 160 Walsenburg I-25 North, just as google suggests. Easy pass between Chama and Antonito as is La Vita on 160 east bound.
Turret Class traveler

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
160 is fine I've driven it several times towing our fifthwheel. Wolf Creek Pass is all up hill coming from the west. It's a bit steep but very doable you need to download 'Convey' a song by CW McCall.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu