cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Guadalajara

almalibre
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone stayed in Guadalajara recently? Where is the best place to stay to explore the city? We stayed at San Jose del Tajo in past years, but have heard it is a little rough now. As long as it is a safe place to park our unit, we are ok with rustic conditions.

Would we be better to stay at Roca Azul and commute from there?

thanks
Rob
10 REPLIES 10

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
moisheh wrote:
If you have an imagination just think what that park looked like in the 50's/60,s. They had their own cable system fed from a large satellite. A full restaurant and a library.
Moisheh

The club house is really something. I had a few million I'd love to fix it up ๐Ÿ™‚ It has several large upper-middle class gated communities around it so I am sure it is just a matter of time. ๐Ÿ˜ž
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
I too agree with Chris/. It is very convenient. If you have an imagination just think what that park looked like in the 50's/60,s. They had their own cable system fed from a large satellite. A full restaurant and a library. There was another RV park in Guad that was even nicer. It was called the Hacienda and was in a nice residential neighborhood. Had lots of permanents. Not sure there are many in this forum that have been rving long enough in Mexico to remember that one. Maybe someone remembers the old pink bus?? It is at San Jose now. There were pictures of the inside on the net but I don't know where to find them. It was beautiful. Like a million dollar Prevost. We always enjoyed San Jose but a few years ago there was an ugly couple who thought they owned the place ( Americans). By now I am sure they ran them off!!!

Moisheh

Talleyho69
Depending on Patricia, you may end up skipping PV, at least on the way south!

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
We'll be watching this thread with interest. We'll probably be doing PV to Zihua via Guad in a month or so.

almalibre
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info, I think we'll give it a try. Looks like a lot more stuff around it than the last time we were there!

Rob

keelhauler1
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Chris. Good location, we walked to the bus line to a catch train into the city. Had a great day exploring the city and went back the same way.
We just parked way in the back at San Jose del Tajo, but it seemed very secure.
John

All my Mexico Trips
-------------------------------------------

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
San Jose del Tajo is pretty run down but is like a forest in the middle of the city. It is located near Zapopan (Tlajomulco de Zuรฑiga) and has a lot of advantages. At the 50s clubhouse the wifi is excellent. The rates are negociable and there is a giant Mega store across the highway. At the entrance to SJT are three palapas, one for excellent hamburgers, one for tacos and the other is a coffee shop. You can catch a bus downtown easily and there is no need to ever leave the highway with your rv. A bit of Mexican rv history, I hope it is still open.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
We always stayed in Villa Carona, camping there at Chimulco, a hot springs campground. One can take a bus into Guad from there. To see the city book a hotel room, your rig should be fine, while you're away for a couple of days. We would always leave the MH at Chimulco, and explore, Tequila and several other towns of interest (there are many) by day, or Patzquero and beyond, such as the butterflies near Anguangeo, while parked at Chimulco. Have left it for as many as three days, with another camper keeping Just a watchful eye on it.

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
These people were going to open an RV park between Guadalajara and Chapala back in 2010 but then the Gov't tore up the road to reconstruct and the opening was put off. I do not know if they ever got it going again. It is right near the intersection of MX35 and MX23. You could try contacting them to see what they are up to. We met them that year at Barra de Navidad and spent some time with them. No idea whether they ever decided to open. The website is still up.

Casa Ruby Rv Park OPENING 5TH OF MAY 2010
Open NOV 1st to April 1st

http://www.bobandgill.com/rvpark.html

Location, Location N 20ยฐ25'08.14 W 103ยฐ13'33.27 ( To the road entrance)
Decimal Degrees: 20.41892 -103.22592
Degrees, Decimal Minutes: 20, 25.1350 -103, 13.5550
Degrees, Minutes, Seconds: 20, 25, 8.1 -103, 13, 33.3
Centrally and conveniently located between Guadalajara and Lake Chapala.
Hwy 23, Ixtlahaucan De Los Membrillos
Turn left in the direction of Ocotlan 10 Ks before Ixtlahaucan (if your travelling south) and an immediate left into Las Cabana, follow the signs for 3/4 mile to the gate.
If you are travelling north on Hwy 23, turn right towards La Barra or Ocotlan and an immediate jog left into La Cabana (there is a green sign that says Hacienda Salmeron) If you need assistance call Bob on:
01 209 981 4485 (USA) OR; 3313 1961 06 (Telcel)
The initial entrance to Las Cabanas is a little bumpy, and the first corner on your right is also, otherwise the road is cobblestoned and reasonably level, just take it slow and easy! We call it the longest mile.
Bob nimblex@yahoo.com Gill casahardrock@gmail.com
Bob: 209 981 4485 Gill: 209 747 0986

BOOKINGS ARE ESSENTIAL
Call Bob or Jill on USA cell# 209 747 0986

5802 Bob Bullock Loop Bld. C1
Box 328C - 167
Laredo, Texas USA 78041 (letters & cards only)

Paseo Las Cabanas # 38
Ixtlahaucan De Los Merrillos

We are on SKYPE
Bob's Skype ID: Robert.Rogers2010
Gill's Skype ID: gillrogers

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
almalibre wrote:
Has anyone stayed in Guadalajara recently? Where is the best place to stay to explore the city? We stayed at San Jose del Tajo in past years, but have heard it is a little rough now. As long as it is a safe place to park our unit, we are ok with rustic conditions.

Would we be better to stay at Roca Azul and commute from there?

thanks
Rob
Or Chimulco at Villa Corona. Both are a fair way out