cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I5 Bakersfield to Redding

gtnsmlr
Explorer
Explorer
Will be driving up the valley to the Oregon coast in a few weeks and was wondering which was the better road surface, the 5 or the 99 ?
The older we get, the faster we go
19 REPLIES 19

navigator2346
Explorer
Explorer
Straight up 5. Watch the web cams and check highway info but this time of year should be ok.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Agreed but 5 is the quickest when open. And 101 gives you the entire Oregon coast.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
99 has too much traffic. I-5 is boring but makes for easy traveling. You just have to have good timing going over Siskiyou Summit heading into Medford.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I find U.S. Hwy. 99 more interesting but when headed north U.S. Hwy. 395 is my first choice then cut over.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
gtnsmlr wrote:
Will be driving up the valley to the Oregon coast in a few weeks and was wondering which was the better road surface, the 5 or the 99 ?

99 is overall the best of worst, neither are perfect. With 99 you trade road surface with greater traffic. At Sacramento switch to I-5. Then go west on Hwy. 20 at Colusa over to 101. Not clear about your "going to Redding" and then going up to Oregon?? Not a route I would take during the winter months. I-5 just north of Redding has been closed down twice this year:(