cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interstate 64

Trixie47
Explorer
Explorer
One leg of my travels is giving me some concern...Will be coming out of Richmond, VA from I-95 connecting to I-64 traveling to I-81. My concern is: what are the hills or mountains like in that area on I-64 to I-81 ? Will be pulling a 39' 5r with a 3500 chevy silverado dually. Thanks !
2008 Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab DW
2012 Keystone Avalanche...4 Slides
10 REPLIES 10

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Trixie47 wrote:
Thanks for all the input. I am coming from the south on I-95 (Florida) . It does look like I could take 288 around Richmond and connect with I-64. Would this route be less congested then taking I-295 around Richmond ?
It's a coin toss, depending on time of day.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

pinesman
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
If the OP's dually is a Duramax diesel then I can guarantee him that there is no mountain highway in the US he should have any worries about.

Mine is a Duramax Diesel and my opinion is the Duramax Allison combo is the best out there. I still make sure my cooling system is up to par and I take my time. I have drug my trailer all over the mountains out west but that is the hill that took out my turbo.

Trixie47
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the input. I am coming from the south on I-95 (Florida) . It does look like I could take 288 around Richmond and connect with I-64. Would this route be less congested then taking I-295 around Richmond ?

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
swphotobug wrote:
Take I264 around Richmond. X2 about the long hill. Just plan on staying in the right lane.
I do believe you are referring to I-295, but that would depend on where in Richmond the OP is coming from, if from the South side, he could also take 288 which comes back to I-64 on the West side of Richmond.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
If the OP's dually is a Duramax diesel then I can guarantee him that there is no mountain highway in the US he should have any worries about.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

pinesman
Explorer
Explorer
Since the OP's question was about hills, there really is only one area for concern between Richmond and Staunton--Afton Mountain. I have frequently seen rigs having trouble in the west bound lanes, mainly in the summer heat. My guess is that most of that is due to drivers pushing their rig too hard for what it is capable of or poor maintenance. I pull a 38 footer with a 3500 and sometimes I just have to slow down on mountain grades. Just make sure your cooling system is up to par

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is a coupe of spots going West Bound where you will need to really slow down making a few left and right slow turns. You will lose momentum in these spots.

I64 has the truck lanes to the right so just blend in with the other slow traffic...

There is one section East of Afton Mountain where rocks slides are prone going West Bound...

Afton Mountain area is also prone to poor visibility with heavy fog etc.. usually on the very top...

Like I81 lots of truck traffic on I64 so it can't be all that bad...

We always stop at the West Bound Rest Stop at the 113 and check things out...

To me I64 East bound coming off the mountain is much more wear and tear on the driver then the West bound traffic...

Even when pulling the big rigs or the small OFF-ROAD POPUP like me you got to be aware of your surroundings for sure...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Trixie47
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the quick replies...I feel better already !! Be safe out there !

swphotobug
Explorer
Explorer
Take I264 around Richmond. X2 about the long hill. Just plan on staying in the right lane.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Only one long pull but it isn't very steep. You will have no trouble.