cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Inverhuron Provincial Park

rickm
Explorer
Explorer
Who has stayed at this park ....would like to hear the goods and the bads. May try it next summer, so interested to hear what real campers think.
2017 Jayflight 26BH Elite
15 REPLIES 15

rickm
Explorer
Explorer
As expected, camped at the Pinery 2 weeks ago, so we did get a day of rain (actually 4 of the 8), so we took a drive up to the park to take a look. Lots of walking. Very nice park .... some really nice sites too, clean, modern, lots of privacy. But, as i am typing this, i popped on to the Ont Parks website and looked at a site map of the park .... we may have missed some of the nicer sites in Holmes Bay section ( wife n i are now sitting here blaming the other), as we did the farthest area first. Oh well, guess we are going to have to do a weekend excursion this winter and go for another walk! Of what we did see though, sites 75 n 76 were favorites, as u could easily slip down to the beach from your site with your lawn chair in the early morning or in the afternoon with a cold beer or two, and sit in the chair with your feet in the crystal clear water! Thank you Lord for Lake Huron ....now can you possibly do something about Lake Erie, it's disgusting.

BTW.... for all that are missing the large beach at the Pinery, happy to report there are signs that its returning, most beach we have seen there in quite sometime. On another note, the large handicap beach access ramp they built in beach access 8 is no longer there, the platform itself is still there, but the ramp is gone. The platform makes for a terrific viewing area, but i'm sure all the local sponsors who contributed to the cost of building the ramp are going to want it transformed back to an access point for the handicapped again

rickm
Explorer
Explorer
Ya, but you can still walk thru it.

portliz
Explorer
Explorer
Inverhuron closes Thanksgiving weekend I think.

rickm
Explorer
Explorer
portliz wrote:
Sorry no pictures of sites. Just some sunsets. Liz

Thanks Liz.... oh well, we are at the Pinery in October, if we get a crappy day(snowed last year), we will take a driveup there

portliz
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry no pictures of sites. Just some sunsets. Liz

relaxin
Explorer
Explorer
I have stayed there a few times, 2 years ago, also back in the first season that it opened back up. As well before it closed in the 70's when the heavy water treatment was started at the Bruce (When I was a youngster)

Nice park, all sites are gravel, have to watch the sizes listed, it may fit a large trailer but the sitting area may be a little small on some especially if you have kids. all sites seem easy to get on to, although careful of cord distances, one site we were on took about 80 feet to reach post, last site was only about 40 feet.
Awesome sunsets. apparently there is remnants of a shipwreck off the rocky point if you snorkel never seen it myself, that whole rocky point was actually under water up till about 15 or 20 years ago when water levels started dropping, but now apparently according to others its rising back up.
Has a nice large sand beach.
couple of trails marked and unmarked.
I see the new section is finaly finished, they just built the comfort station last time I was there.
Lots to see in the surrounding area, nuke facility has an interesting interactive center, Southampton has a nice indoor flea market with some unique items for hobby and crafty people, a day trip to mcgregor is easy and close or to sauble beach or falls.
go the right time of the year and the Scottish festival is on in kinkardine.
Book early as it is a popular park and good sites go fast for the summer season.
Relaxin, hikin, canoin, enjoyin life
headin down the road with a 29' reflection, canoe, camera, & hammock. 2022 GMC extended cab 6.6 litre gasser.
Rug rats grown and gone, just me and my beautiful little lady.

rickm
Explorer
Explorer
portliz wrote:
I think it is called Holmes. It is the first section closest to the entrance. Liz.

thanks Liz ....any chance you took photos, there are none on the Parks website

portliz
Explorer
Explorer
I think it is called Holmes. It is the first section closest to the entrance. Liz.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
^ The beach used to be great. last year it was almost gone I couldn't believe it. the one day we were there and the lake was wind blown the waves were actually hitting the dunes.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

rickm
Explorer
Explorer
camp-n-family wrote:
The beach used to be one of the best on Lake Huron, but the water is now so high that there is barely any beach left.

This can be said of any of the beaches along the east shore of Huron right now. We were at Port Franks last week and the beach is half the size it used to be. The water level at the Pinery is almost up to the dunes now and washing most of the sand out. They all have shallow water and sand bars now.

We were @ The Pinery in July ..... ya, not a whole lot of beach left, but much more than last year. What we did notice this year as compared to past years .... lots of large stones when you first enter the water, actually painfull to walk on. Remember the good ole days at The Pine when the beach was massive, and the shallow water had the rippling sand and shallow water (sigh). Oh well, lucky to say my kids were able to experience and enjoy The Pinery beach at its finest. Kids are grown up now, no longer camp, so thye beach is no longer our primary decision maker when it comes to campgrounds .... more of the bike riding, and nice treed sites with some room between you and your neighbor

rickm
Explorer
Explorer
portliz wrote:
Love this park. Just returned from 4 days. Stay in the new section. Large private pull thrus. Short walk to the water. Clean showers and bathrooms. Nice biking. Take lots of electric cord. Some boxes are a long run.

which is the new section?

portliz
Explorer
Explorer
Love this park. Just returned from 4 days. Stay in the new section. Large private pull thrus. Short walk to the water. Clean showers and bathrooms. Nice biking. Take lots of electric cord. Some boxes are a long run.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
The beach used to be one of the best on Lake Huron, but the water is now so high that there is barely any beach left.

This can be said of any of the beaches along the east shore of Huron right now. We were at Port Franks last week and the beach is half the size it used to be. The water level at the Pinery is almost up to the dunes now and washing most of the sand out. They all have shallow water and sand bars now.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

rwbradley
Explorer
Explorer
I don't mind the park, it is not my favorite along lake Huron. The beach used to be one of the best on Lake Huron, but the water is now so high that there is barely any beach left. I prefer Point Farms over Inverhuron.
Rob
rvtechwithrvrob.com