cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just A Note 8 Miles From Border

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
At 7:10AM we arrived at the toll road from Mex 1-D to the Otay Mesa border crossing just east of Tijuana.

Three burned out cars and 5 SSP Policia Federal pickups and a pumper fire engine. One of the local transitos told us the road was blocked at around 4AM the occupants of the cars were supposedly robbed then the cars were set afire. None of the 3 looked newer than I'd guess 2008.

My Mexican friends were puzzled as well. Why were these people robbed? Why burn the cars? A mystery.
17 REPLIES 17

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
I am currently in San Antonio TX at my brothers so I do not have direct info on this but they probably have the signs up all ready and it is very easy to direct the flow to Otay via the 905 from the I-5 and the I-805, so yes it will be easy to accomplish.

navegator

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't expect much chaos with 2 days SY closure. Since this is a US DOT, not Mexico, I'm sure there will be VERY good signs in red and yellow posted on the last 5-10 miles before the border, directing all traffic to Otay.

Most Southbound congestion happens on weekdays 3pm-5pm , particularly on Friday.

So.. what about those burned cars, where, who? Senor Mex?

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
That will be on a weekend and not the bussy weekk days, the reconstruction has been going on on both sides for a few years, they are building a new bridge and entrance after the Mexican inspection booths, so you drive to Otay it is not that far.

navegator

Talleyho69
I thought I just read that San Ysidro southbound going to be closed for almost 2 days in September while new lanes are incorporated. It's supposed to be chaos.

Only access into Mexico will be through Otay Mesa. What planning!

Dated July 18, 2017 (I just cut and pasted it instead of providing a link)

SAN DIEGO (AP) — San Diego’s bustling San Ysidro border crossing with Tijuana, Mexico, will be closed to southbound cars for more than two days in September.

The Union-Tribune newspaper reported Monday that the 57-hour closure is part of a plan to realign a portion of Interstate 5.

It’s the final phase of the $741 million expansion of the San Ysidro Port of Entry, the busiest border crossing in the Western Hemisphere.

From Saturday, Sept. 23, at 3 a.m. to Monday, Sept. 25, at noon, all cars will be barred from entering Tijuana through San Ysidro.

Vehicle traffic into Mexico will be rerouted 7 miles to the Otay Mesa Port of Entry.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
You are correct Almot the Otay border crossing closes at 00:00 (midnight) and opens at 04:00 AM.

The crossing at San Ysidro is 24/7 365 it never closes unless there is a problem or some disturbance in the force.

navegator

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
At 7:10AM we arrived at the toll road from Mex 1-D to the Otay Mesa border crossing just east of Tijuana.

I hope you're out of the woods - US doctors, that is.

Can't quite understand the location. If you arrived to Otay crossing, it could only be FROM the toll road (either from Mex 1D or Mex 2D, both are tolls).

I often prefer Otay to SY for being quiet-er in daytime. Perhaps, too quiet at 4 am, no witnesses. Also, before 4 am you are an easy target because the border is closed from midnight to 4 (as I recall).

Why burn the cars... los locos don't need any "why's", could've been high as a kite at that moment.

Edit - PS: "8 miles from the border" places it somewhere on the outskirts of Tijuana, on the way to the border. OR... was it 8 miles North of the border 😉 ?

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Where in AZ? WE try to go to Q and Yuma every year.
Moisheh

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, Mex, sweetie, that is indeed a lot of work on the old bod! I am glad you are a tough one. Wishing you well and an easy-as-possible recovery.

How long are you expected to be in the hospital/US? Is there anything any of us can do you for you while you are here? I am not in CA, but contributions to an electronics wishlist, for example?
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

crandle
Explorer
Explorer
Still alive and kicking Moisheh! We have stayed in Arizona the past couple of winters.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Croft: Are you still out there??? Long time no see!

Moisheh

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow! Good luck on the surgeries -- that's a lot of warranty work at one time. 😉
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

crandle
Explorer
Explorer
And why were they driving around at 4 AM?

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
They're sharpening las cadenas para sus moto sierras (they are sharpening the chains of their chain saws.

Yup one baby bear, one mama bear and one papa bear surgery.

Cataract, bone graft and spine reconstruction. Then some arthroscopic surgery.

But first comes the cardiac "dyno-test". Then a sleep study - and maybe a six thousand dollar Bi-PAP for (central sleep apnea).

At least Scripps Medical Center has outrageous good chow. The Seguro Popular I spent 10 days in, August 2011, needed a bow saw to chop the stale tortillas. The canned beans didn't soak in too hot. Yeah get it on, chewy elastic tortillas.

Zeta Tijuana ran a story on the "incident" but of course I had to miss the paper guy. Something about both groups of people. Revenge? With the wonderful world of wacky weed steering society who knows...?

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good day! (Another Paul Harvey-ism.)

Mex, I am coming in late to this story -- why are you coming to the States? I sure hope it is not health-related! Shopping for decent electronic components, perhaps?

In any event, good luck and safe travels!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."