cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

La Veta Pass (Colorado) with old and heavy RV?

Globy
Explorer
Explorer
We are traveling from Santa Fe up to see the Great Sand Dunes. After which we plan to head up to Denver (and beyond). We are traveling in a 1999 Rexhall Rexair 36’ (Triton V10) that is extremely heavy (full-timers with two kids). Our highest passes to date are around 8,500’ near Lake Tahoe and also Lassen NP. My husband doesn’t want to attempt anything higher…thinks our poor RV won’t support the lack of oxygen. Plus we were pretty scared recently coming down Highway 17 (Flagstaff to Sedona)…6% grade…hard on breaks / engine breaks (high RPM). With this in mind, any thoughts about the Veta Pass (9400’) West to East for us? If we don’t take that pass, looks like we have to come back down to Santa Fe to get around…meaning about 350 extra miles (and with gas prices today…yikes!). I have read several blogs about this pass, saying it is “easy”…but I would appreciate any comments with respect to our situation (older and very heavy RV).
17 REPLIES 17

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
My dad went back to a 99 ish Sea Breeze with the V10 Triton. He pulls a Wrangler Unlimited that he uses off road (pretty heavy).

The motorhome still goes over the passes, but it is SLOW. That vintage Triton just doesn't have a ton of power, but it does get the job done.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Globy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks! The Poncho Springs recommendation seems lower (9000’) and less grade! Still not sure if our 99 V10 Triton can support the lack of oxygen (my husband’s concern). Do you know how the road conditions are there…good pavement, wide lanes, passing lanes, not too many sharp curves, etc? Also any info on how we can easily see road grades would be awesome! I keep looking them up road by road, pass by pass. Or use google maps to see elevation numbers (which I need a magnifying glass to read on my phone!).

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
La Veta is not too bad, and eastbound is easier than westbound. The west side is not as steep so going up a little easier. Going down the east side you will need to watch your speed carefully as it is steeper.

Or, from Alamosa you could take CO 17 to US 285 to Poncha Springs and then US 50 to I-25. One pass south of Poncha Springs but not bad at all. Listed as 3% on CDOT. Probably easier on your nerves, and RV, that way.

https://www.uncovercolorado.com/activities/poncha-pass/