cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Las Vegas to Anchorge April 2015 need advice

RV1452
Explorer
Explorer
Need advice on driving thru Canada on way to Anchorge. Like to boondock a lot need ideas on how to stay warm n camp ideas. Born n raised in Hawaii, I'm planning make this trip alone, Mahalo n Aloha in advance.
14 REPLIES 14

alaskan-rver
Explorer
Explorer
So it sounds like you could be hitting Alaska sometime around the first half of May. Depending on the winter snowfall, that's a little early in our camping season. You can expect:
* Noticeably different conditions at low altitude (say, 1000 feet) than higher altitudes. The higher altitudes will still have snow off the road, while it will be melted, and possibly muddy, at the lower altitudes. Depending how far off the pavement you were anticipating getting in order to boondock, some pulloffs/sideroads might still have snow on them (at higher elevations), and/or be muddy.
* There will still be weak ice on inland higher elevation lakes.
* Not all commercial and public campgrounds will be open. The weekend before Memorial Day is when most seem to open up for the season.
* Hopefully no bugs, but still a little darkness left at night.
* Virtually no other out-of-state campers (the migration is really condensed around July), nor that many locals venturing out for their season shakedown trips.

So, depending on your available time, you might be best served to make your way up through the inland north (northern BC, Yukon, inland Alaska) relatively quickly and then down to the southern Alaska coast (Kenai Peninsula, Valdez, etc). Start the leisurely part of your trip from there, taking your time heading north into Alaska (i.e., Denali and Fairbanks) before working your way home.

Or, spend some more time playing in southern Canada (such as around Lake Louise and Banff) before pushing north.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
RV1452 wrote:
I need good big spray n where get bear spray from 7-11 haha

I hate Mosquitos so I need advice on that cuz

Not sure what you are asking, can you re-state your question a little more clearly?

... Eric

RV1452
Explorer
Explorer
I need good big spray n where get bear spray from 7-11 haha

I hate Mosquitos so I need advice on that cuz

RV1452
Explorer
Explorer
I figure April 21 head into Vancouver BC from Oregon n slowly make it north

Thanks for all yur help cool forum

alaskan-rver
Explorer
Explorer
You say the trip is "in April", but when do you anticipate making it to the north, say, crossing into the Yukon Territory?

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
garyhaupt wrote:
Can you offer some time-frame?
Subject line.

ahhh...right. Thanks

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
garyhaupt wrote:
Can you offer some time-frame?
Subject line.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
RV1452 wrote:
Need advice on driving thru Canada on way to Anchorge. Like to boondock a lot need ideas on how to stay warm n camp ideas. Born n raised in Hawaii, I'm planning make this trip alone, Mahalo n Aloha in advance.

Can you offer some time-frame? As you have seen, the weather can be a challenge early spring and late fall.

As far as running thru Canada, do your research on pets, weapons, foods allowed. You will have no problems finding good overnight spots all the way thru BC. I say spots..not campgrounds..those are everywhere, too, but boondocking sites are plentiful.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Drove it twice last year in April.
I missed most of the bad weather only about 300 mi w snow on the road.
Theoretically you could be driving in snow and ice from Southern BC all the way up.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Tee_Jay
Explorer
Explorer
April: Freezing at night, 40's for a high.
May: Freezing at night, 50's for a high. May get warmer, may not.
June thru August: 40's overnight, 60's daytime, expect rain.

There are lots of Provincial, State and Fed campgrounds, also highway pull-offs and gravel pits. Any copy of the Milepost from most any year will work. Our copy is from 2003, we don't use it much anymore, but so far all the roads and towns and cities are still in the same place. The Church's book on camping is popular.

Dress warm, go slow, and carry a lot of bug dope.

RV1452
Explorer
Explorer
Thank u all for info. Got milepost, now small trios

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
For the best ideas and tips, take some time to review the Roll Call Alaska 2013 and Roll Call Alaska 2014 forums. Lots of info. By the way, Roll Call Alaska 2015 forum in now started as well. Best wishes for safe travel and a great time.

Bob

yrusoslo
Explorer
Explorer
Still can get heavy snow in April!!!

AK49er
Explorer
Explorer
First thing would be to buy the latest edition of the "Milepost travel guide", it shows roads and camping areas along with fuel stations along the way. Just remember its a lot of small trips wrapped into one.