cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Laytonville to Westport?

Lazylab
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know how the road from laytonville ca to Westport is. It is called branscomb rd. I am familiar with hwy 20 to Fort Bragg, but first time taking the 5thwheel farther north.
4 REPLIES 4

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep -- 20 to Ft. Bragg is a piece of cake, by comparison! What a wonderful area that is. Did you know that there is great camping in the Jackson Demonstration State Forest? The rangers in Ft. Bragg can give you more details.

If you need any recreational equipment, try the Outdoor Store in Ft. Bragg -- a surprisingly good selection, good prices, and good recreational tips from the staff.

One more thing -- they just opened the Noyo Bike Trail -- you can ride from the Noyo River all the way up to the Tenmile area, about ten miles each way. A great ride -- great views of the seals along the way. And mountain biking at Van Damme and Russian Gulch. Cool, clear air.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Lazylab
Explorer
Explorer
thank you I will drive up from fort bragg , made the mistake of taking the truck camper years ago across hwy 36.i am comfortable towing the 5thwheel across 20.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Unless it is absolutely necessary, don't take anything larger than a teardrop trailer on that road. I just drove it a couple of weeks ago from Westport to Branscomb and back. Just the truck, no trailer. (We were going hiking on a trail that starts near Branscomb.)

Very twisty, very narrow. Blind curves. When you see another car or truck coming, you both have to slow down a little to pass each other. Very few, if any, pullouts. The road is slow -- it took us more than half an hour to go about 15 miles, not towing.

I should add that I am usually quite comfortable towing on mountain roads that are considered tricky. But this one is not engineered for towing at all.

The good news is that it is scenic -- lots of second growth redwood. And there is not much traffic, at least on a weekday.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
Lazylab wrote:
Does anyone know how the road from laytonville ca to Westport is. It is called branscomb rd. I am familiar with hwy 20 to Fort Bragg, but first time taking the 5thwheel farther north.

Here's a link to a Youtube of a motorcyclist going 80 mph+ (on some portions of it).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRoupqqIHJM
There is something special about camping in an RV.