cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Los Angeles to Yosemite best route

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks in advance for your opinions and time.

We have been to Yosemite before tent camping out of a car. We usually take the south entrance and have only visited in the summer.

We are heading to the Valley for five days in to weeks. This will be our first trip in the winter and in an RV (only 25ft) and I am considering taking the west entrance as that is apparently the all year road and is also at a lower elevation. Is the west entrance also an easier road for RV travel? Less curves etc? it looks to be about 30 minutes more travel according to google maps etc...

Any thoughts on a favorite RV place to stay the night and fill up on water before entering Yosemite?

Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
Wonderful info thanks everyone!

@the bear II...I know what you mean about Yosemite and late night explorations. Amazing stuff! Like doing a night dive on SCUBA. We frequently get on our bikes and take midnight rides for about an hour. Spectacular! 🙂

I am leaning towards just taking 41 thru Fresno like we usually do in the car. Of course, if it looks like snow, I may change my mind and try 140 for the first time. I have no interest in actually using the tire chains I bought if I can avoid it, lol.

We have reservations at Upper Pines when we get to the Valley. Does anyone have more recs for RV camping close to the entrance coming from the south entrance on 41before you enter the park?

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I still prefer the south entrance with my 26' trailer. The hills and curves are mild especially because of the 35 mph speed limit in the park to protect wildlife. Nothing says Yosemite like the view as you emerge from the tunnel.

Potable water is available at the Upper Pines dump station all year round.

We often stay at bakersfieldrvresort.com to split the drive in half. Although getting there we usually go in one shot.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
We took our 24ft TT in the south entrance. No problem.

The road is a little curvy and hilly. I was having so much fun with the curves that I looked over at my DW and she was turning a little green. I slowed down and she was OK. I was surprised at how well our set-up was working in those type of mountain roads.

Something spectacular happened while we stayed in the valley. We took a drive around the valley at 1AM on a full moon night it was unbelievable. The moonlight lit up the granite walls and waterfalls. We saw deer, raccoon, coyote and the meadows were covered in a mist about 2 feet high. If you happen to hit a full moon be sure to take a night drive it's a once in a lifetime experience.

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
If you go up 99 to Merced (hwy 140) and go in the road is less hilly, less elevation and paved well.

However if you instead turn at Fresno and use hwy 41, it will take at least an hour off your commute time, although the elevation is higher. The road is good, though.

We were there just a year ago end of March and we got snowed in. Great trip. I've tent camped in the park dozens of times, this last trip was my first with an RV. I like Upper Pines.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
Many years ago I took my two sons (under 10 at the time) to Yosemite during the summer months. We spent one night in a small campground in the town of Coarsegold, then went into Yosemite the next day. We were in a small Class C based on a Toyota truck chassis so the hills were slow going. Roads are wide and were well maintained at the time. Don't think you'll have any difficulties with a 25' RV. I believe that the campsites do not have hook ups.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.