Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
1D, you do not want to take a large rig through costa rica

Jarvis1
Explorer
Explorer
Google maps shows Hwy 1D from Campo Balbuena through South Culican to
Hwy 15 or do you go East from 15D through Costa Rica on Hwy 19 to the Libre???
2002 Monaco Diplomat 40'

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Follow the signs for Cullican Cuota. That was probably your msitake. You have to go through one toll booth. There is a toll booth on 15D you avoid instead. There are some propane tanks on the right but they are hard ti see southbounddue to trees in the way. The libre south of mazatlan is also good. I will be taking in in a few days so I will report. The trick with that one is to get back on the cuota before you start to climb to Tepic.

peachland2
Explorer
Explorer
I am with you Tequila it was a beautiful drive,we took the libre Jan 2 last year,the rosa morada trees were in full bloom on the hillsides all the way through,the road is good.There were a few robberies on the Mazatlan end,tourists coming from Mazatlan visiting a pueblo magico town on the other end.
We did follow your directions to get on the libre but we did get lost in Culiacan for awhile,hopefully we will do better this year

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Yes

Jarvis1
Explorer
Explorer
Is the libre fit for a 40 ft Class A>
2002 Monaco Diplomat 40'

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
I took the libre. It is in very good condition and saves 5 toll booths. I dont know why anyone would give warnings about it. No rough stretches or large towns to pass through and its a lot more scenic. I usually use it.

Talleyho69
The price on the toll road hasn't changed in years, and the road is in good condition. Save time, aggravation and damage. Take the toll road!

peachland2
Explorer
Explorer
Did you take the libre from Culican or the toll?By the time we came home last year there had been several advisories from different people to not take the libre.