Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Probable Bear Mauling, Anchorage

Tee_Jay
Explorer
Explorer
Anhorage News Story

Based on emergency Room reports, a likely Black Bear mauling.

For the visitors, all wildlife is potentially dangerous, Alaska is not a petting zoo. I have had numerous encounters with bear and moose, as have others on this board, and have had no issues, BUT avoidance and discretion are your best course of action. Just sayin'.
6 REPLIES 6

Tee_Jay
Explorer
Explorer
ADF&G now thinks it may have been a MOOSE.

They still cannot talk to the victim.

Tarheel_2
Explorer
Explorer
According to the Anchorage news last night, they thought it was an attack by a horned animal instead of a bear. Possibly a moose. They are still proceeding with a DNA check from the young bear that was shot.
Tarheel

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Significant parts of several Chugach trails were closed this afternoon (I don't recall which parts 'cause they were almost all offlimits for old fat guys :)) due to high levels of bear activity, including one brown bear that had taken possession of part of the Crow Creek trail.

Folks need to be careful around spring (yes, it still counts as spring) bears. All the bells, spray, and thunder sticks won't make up for being mentally asleep or unprepared.....IMNSHO.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
I have telephoto lens wouldn't wand to ruin a picture with my mug in it.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
sue.t wrote:
In Yukon, someone reported that a bear charged them alongside the highway. Turned out that person was approaching the bear with her cubs to get a SELFIE.

I've seen tourists trying to get selfies with elk during their rut, and with bison in northern BC. Not a good thing to do.

I still don't get the selfie thing.

I took a selfie once, turned out it wasn't me, but a bunch of trees and a creek behind me.
Still not sure how those trees and that creek photo-bombed my picture..... ??

Soup
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
In Yukon, someone reported that a bear charged them alongside the highway. Turned out that person was approaching the bear with her cubs to get a SELFIE.

I've seen tourists trying to get selfies with elk during their rut, and with bison in northern BC. Not a good thing to do.

I still don't get the selfie thing.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!