cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roll Call Alaska 2015

trcgolf
Explorer
Explorer
I know its early but we have been planning for the past 3 months. I know its another 15 months at least till we leave but we are just going crazy...
So here is our very rough plan overview. Leave mid June from western NY; travel west up through Ill., Wis., Min., ND, into Canada.
Diagonally across Saskatch. and Alberta, BC, and YT...
Our first destination is Fairbanks, via Top of the World Highway... thinking of doing the Dempster to the Arctic Circle. I know there will many stops... some short, some long but all will be great.
Fairbanks to Homer with the obligatory Denali stop for a few days.
Homer to Portland Or; Oregon to San Fran; San Fran to home via the Northern US.

We have so much planning yet to do but reading all the Roll Call posts in 2013, and 2014 just keeps us going. Started to plan finances which brings us to the first major question.
I have heard all the diesel advantages and draw backs of the gas engines. We invested in a 32' fifth wheel and 2013 GMC 2500 HD with 6.0L Crew 4x4. The fiver weighs about 8K empty, I would guess 10,500 loaded. ( I will get that checked for sure)Brand new to Rving

The truck is my every dayer.... need the 4 wheel drive here in winter. The decision with gas was pure economics. A Cummins diesel and matching tranny was $9500 more. Doing the math it was going to take a bunch of miles to save enough in mileage to pay for the increase in price. About 100000 mile by my calculation. We not going to be full timers; one long trip a year to Florida.
Traveling around NY and Pa and maybe Florida, that all makes sense but going on a trip like this, I am not so sure gas was the way to go. So I am asking for those who used a truck like mine to haul a fifth wheel through Canada...Alaska...et al... What kind of mileage can I expect? Sorry for the novelette...I will get better at this.

Edited to add 'Alaska' within the title.
2013 GMC 2500 HD
6.0 L Crew 4x4
Crossroads Zinger
715 REPLIES 715

Tee_Jay
Explorer
Explorer
sue.t wrote:
BTW, today is New Years eve and the temperature in Whitehorse is above freezing. Here at our cabin we're at 36F. Meanwhile the rest of Canada, including the west coast, is colder.

Go figure.

Too funny. This morning on the NW Washington coast it was 23 and when I checked the Anchorage paper it was 36. Anchorage did not have a single temperature reading below zero in the last year.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wow - having a warm spell! It was almost that in southern CA and AZ.

No spare as is somewhat common these days. To big and heavy for me to change anyway and with a 20K lb axle the equipment would be big and heavy.

I'm not worried about a flat in terms of delay. If I can't find lots to do while waiting then I probably shouldn't be going to Alaska.

While a flat is a non issue a blowout and rig damage would be a concern.

Meet a guy that bent his fiver hitch (likely didn't slow down), spent 19 days in Dawson Creek and continued on with the trip.

Meet a guy in Fairbanks with a 10 day delay for repairs. His caravan tour left on schedule without him.

Meet a guy in Haines with a engine valve issue. After many days on the phone and email the bottom line was ferry to Port Hardy and tow to Victoria for authorized Cummins repair. Lucky guy as I'd love to take that ferry trip with my rig and get off at every stop! :B

Stuff happens!
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
BTW, today is New Years eve and the temperature in Whitehorse is above freezing. Here at our cabin we're at 36F. Meanwhile the rest of Canada, including the west coast, is colder.

Go figure.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
It's a good thing to carry a spare, you never know when a flat will happen. We don't get many flats, but when we do it's a good thing to have a good spare. Two years ago we got a flat on the fifth wheel after travelling about a 1/2 mile through a construction zone on the Alaska Highway. A rock worked its way into the tire.

If your tire gets damaged beyond repair, it can take many days to get a replacement up here as the tire shops don't usually have speciality sizes in stock. They need to order them in from the south. If you have your own spare, it can save time and money.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

americanrascal
Explorer
Explorer
I tend to agree its likely I would not ever need it, but I do want a spare for peace of mind. This is our second Class A MH. Had one for about 10 years a decade or so ago. I had bad experiences with tires on that one having had one blow out and one wall failure (They were Michelins and brand new).Luckily that rig carried a spare. The new Itasca we got several months ago came without a spare and having run up the Alaska Hiway last year I just would not feel comfortable without having a spare. A used rim is to arrive today, then I'll add the tire and be all set!

AlCar
Explorer
Explorer
americanrascal wrote:
Momma and I decided to head back up again this summer (2015) having just arrived back from our late summer trip up the Alaska Hiway from West Georgia to Anchorage in early September. In 2014 we did the trip to visit our son and DIL in Anchorage in 7 weeks total- 16 days up and about 16 days back. We came back down the Alaska Marine Hiway on the Kennicott out of Whittier, AK , through Seattle then back headed to the barn. Was fun on the ferry but once in a life time is pricey enough for me.

In 2014 we drove our F250 with a Lance 865 TC. After 7 weeks we were crawling the walls in tight space. With a red bone coon hound and a yorkie in command, Momma and I had little room left in the rig to breath. So this past fall we traded the truck, TC and our 5ver for a 31KE Itasca MH and then picked up a tow dolly and used Ford Focus for a toad. So the plan is that we'll take the new rig set up back this coming summer.

It looks like we'll have a new member of the family to visit in Anchorage as he is due in June-- and thats our excuse for another trip up there in 2015. Our arrival is timed for about August 1st in Eagle River.

Pretty sure we'll head north west through Little Rock, Salina KS, Cheyenne, St Mary (Glacier), Banff, Hinton, then on up the Alaska Hiway with the rig and toad.This year we may add a couple of days to the run and slow down a bit. I say that with crossed fingers as Momma (soon to be Grandma) wants to get to Anchorage ASAP to cuddle the new yungun .

We'll spend a about 2 weeks visiting the kids, sight seeing in the Anchorage, Mat'su, Kennai area then head back to the land of grits, biscuits and eggs-- maybe this time along the Cassiar with a stop at Denali. Vancouver and Seattle are not out of the question and stops at Devils Tower, Yellowstone and a few other parks are in the cards too.

Working on getting the rig set up (i.e. break away switch on the toad, magnetic tail lights, mud flaps, spare tire set up for the MH etc)

Anyway hope to see you all along the way. Happy trails and hoping for continued lower gas prices throughout the New Year!!

Rascal

If your getting a new MH, you probably will never need spare for MH. I had all new tires put on our RV prior to the trip this summer (we needed them as the old ones had dry rot signs) and had no trouble whatsoever. Food for thought!

americanrascal
Explorer
Explorer
Momma and I decided to head back up again this summer (2015) having just arrived back from our late summer trip up the Alaska Hiway from West Georgia to Anchorage in early September. In 2014 we did the trip to visit our son and DIL in Anchorage in 7 weeks total- 16 days up and about 16 days back. We came back down the Alaska Marine Hiway on the Kennicott out of Whittier, AK , through Seattle then back headed to the barn. Was fun on the ferry but once in a life time is pricey enough for me.

In 2014 we drove our F250 with a Lance 865 TC. After 7 weeks we were crawling the walls in tight space. With a red bone coon hound and a yorkie in command, Momma and I had little room left in the rig to breath. So this past fall we traded the truck, TC and our 5ver for a 31KE Itasca MH and then picked up a tow dolly and used Ford Focus for a toad. So the plan is that we'll take the new rig set up back this coming summer.

It looks like we'll have a new member of the family to visit in Anchorage as he is due in June-- and thats our excuse for another trip up there in 2015. Our arrival is timed for about August 1st in Eagle River.

Pretty sure we'll head north west through Little Rock, Salina KS, Cheyenne, St Mary (Glacier), Banff, Hinton, then on up the Alaska Hiway with the rig and toad.This year we may add a couple of days to the run and slow down a bit. I say that with crossed fingers as Momma (soon to be Grandma) wants to get to Anchorage ASAP to cuddle the new yungun .

We'll spend a about 2 weeks visiting the kids, sight seeing in the Anchorage, Mat'su, Kennai area then head back to the land of grits, biscuits and eggs-- maybe this time along the Cassiar with a stop at Denali. Vancouver and Seattle are not out of the question and stops at Devils Tower, Yellowstone and a few other parks are in the cards too.

Working on getting the rig set up (i.e. break away switch on the toad, magnetic tail lights, mud flaps, spare tire set up for the MH etc)

Anyway hope to see you all along the way. Happy trails and hoping for continued lower gas prices throughout the New Year!!

Rascal

AlCar
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
Radiator shops love them because they reflect rocks forward which can damage rear radiator and paint. Leave it on but covered with a highly damped material.

OR

I was in denial since I towed my CRV 60,000 miles with no protection and no scratches. Welcome to the Alaskan Highway and paint damage, radiator dings and new windshield after spending $140 on 3 chips. I'll have a Protect A Tow fabric shield next summer which is the best device.

On our trip this summer, we used no rock protection. The damage was simply one chip and one crack due to an overzealous pickup truck driven by a teen-ager who thought it would be cute to do about 60 on the dirt road between Beaver Creek and the Alaska line coming as close to our RV as he could, thus throwing up stones. Other than that, the real battle damage on our 30 footer happened 5 miles east of Bismarck, ND in a construction zone. There the steps were damaged and we lost the compartment covers on the right side of the rig.

AlCar
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
Will those towers be Telus? That's what we get on our Verizon phone for $15/mth additional when we travel to Canada.

Be careful. We ordered the Canada plan on Verizon for this summer when we went to Alaska. We didn't use the phone all that much, something like 15 minutes and the roaming charges came to over $150 when I cancelled the plan once back in the states.

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
The towers will be RuralCom. Telus is pretty good about picking up other carriers. When we lived in B.C., Telus was our first choice as a provider because they had the most wide-ranging service in B.C. Did better than the other carriers in more isolated areas.

Interesting that the news release announcing this work came out in March 2009, indicating the work would be complete before the end that year. Only five years late... http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/ruralcom-corporation-to-provide-cell-phone-service-to-the-al...
sue t.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Will those towers be Telus? That's what we get on our Verizon phone for $15/mth additional when we travel to Canada.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
They've announced that the Alaska Highway will have cellular service in 2015. CBC Article
I guess this means we might get cell service here at our cabin too.

Cellphone service coming to Alaska Highway
About 100 cellphone towers to be erected along the route

Starting next year, cellphone service may be available to people driving on the Canadian portion of the Alaska Highway.

Crews were in Whitehorse over the weekend, installing a new tower.

โ€œWe've done Whitehorse,โ€ says Rick Panoulias, a service manager with North Peace Communications, the company putting in the infrastructure. โ€œAnd then throughout 2015, we should be covering all the way on the Alaska Highway from about Fort St. John right through to Alaska.โ€

In all, about a hundred small cellphone towers will be erected along the highway.

The carrier, RuralCom, hopes to have the full service up and running some time next year.

Itโ€™s part of the relatively new companyโ€™s expansion plans.

โ€œIn addition to bringing new competition to the areas RuralCom will serve, the company expects its network to significantly enhance public safety for all wireless users and travellers whether they are RuralCom subscribers or roamers from other network operators,โ€ says Bob Hillman, president and CEO, in an email.
sue t.

fullmoonoversal
Explorer
Explorer
tinner12002 wrote:
Some states here in lower 48 allow ATVs on county roads and was wondering if Canada and Alaska allowed them on roads or in parks?
Also what are the best months to run through Canada to Alaska for sight seeing, won't be doing any fishing.

Not in Alaska.

Anytime in Alaska is good for sightseeing. Depending on your interests. The crouds will be here starting mid May and they depart about Labor Day. My DH and I look forward to our own touring before May 15 and after Labor Day and into October.
2017 Coachmen Galleria

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
tinner12002 wrote:
Are there highways leading to Alaska and in Alaska that shouldn't be traveled with an RV due to low bridge height that should be avoided?

"highways" usually not a problem. We've not encountered any problems along any of the highways through B.C. or Yukon. Some side-roads might have a low railway overpass, so pay attention to the signage, and know the height of your rig in metres/centimetres because signage is in metric. I know of only one low overpass, that being near Shawnigan Lake on Vancouver Island on the local road around the lake.
sue t.

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
In Yukon, legislation is being updated to require off-road vehicles to be insured and licenced if being used on a designated road or hwy, including just crossing over the highway or offloading in a rest area. The territorial campgrounds already require a vehicle to licenced & insured. "Off-road" includes motorcycles, snowmobiles, side-by-sides, etc.

Within Whitehorse, there is already a requirement for insurance and licence, plus the driver must have a special permit with their regular drivers licence, which means no one under the age of 16 can operate an off-road vehicle within the city limits.

In British Columbia, licence and insurance required plus the vehicle must be equipped appropriately for use on the highway or road. DH got in trouble once for crossing over a quiet local road in a small community with his trials motorcycle, the RCMP just happened to be cruising by to set up along the TransCanada Trail where there had been numerous complaints about motorized vehicles ripping by hikers, despite motorized vehicles not being permitted to travel that portion of the trail.
sue t.