cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Route Through WI

Woodswalker
Explorer
Explorer
I'm heading west to Rapid City, Yellowstone etc. am looking at entering WI via MI U.P.
Any suggestions for heading south to LaCrosse to pick up 90 and avoid Green Bay, AppletonOshkosh etc.?
4 REPLIES 4

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Several years ago I drove from Door Co to I94 (and on to Montana). I don't recall any traffic problems in the Green Bay. WI29 was mostly divided with bypasses around towns.

Unless you also want to see the Black Hills and cross the Big Horn Mtns, I'd suggest I94 over I90. US2 to Duluth, and then straight across Minnesota to Fargo would be the shortest route. But I'm not sure about roads on this leg. On Google Maps, MI210 to US10 looks good.

JesLookin
Explorer
Explorer
I'd go with badgercamperfan. You don't want to be on HWY 41 near Green Bay or Appleton this summer with lots of construction.
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L CTD, Crew Cab

JesLookin
Explorer
Explorer
I'd go with badgercamperfan. You don't want to be on HWY 41 near Green Bay or Appleton this summer with lots of construction.
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L CTD, Crew Cab

badgercamperfan
Explorer
Explorer
I would take Hwy 41 south to Oconto. Then take Hwy 22 west to Cecil (just east of Shawano). Then south on 117 to Bonduel (about 10 miles) to Hwy 29. 29 is a very good 4 lane highway. Take 29 west to Wausau. There catch I- 39 south to Hwy 21 near Richfield. Then west to I-94. South on 94 maybe 20 miles is I-90. Not the most direct but will get you there. The only traffic will be around Wausau. There is a low bridge on 117 before Bonduel. Not sure of height. If height is a problem stay on 22 to Shawano and pick up 29 on the south side of town by taking 55 south just as you enter town (there's a stoplight).