cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

SC into NC Mountain route

martinto
Explorer
Explorer
Heading to Black Forest Family Campground later this week. Anyone familiar with pulling a TT up Hwy 276 through Cesar's Head up to Cedar Mountain. I have plenty of truck for the steep climb, but wondering about the switchbacks? Thanks
3 REPLIES 3

martinto
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the feedback. I'll take that route and..."steady as she goes"!

skipro
Explorer
Explorer
Black Forest is a very nice campground and the owners are very friendly and helpful. Just take it easy on their entrance road. It's narrow and you can't always see around the curves to know what is coming. Enjoy your stay.

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you want to go that route, there is no problem with switchbacks. It is a bit easier to swing into the oncoming lane just slightly on one of the switchbacks, but the other lane is wide and plenty of view coming out so no worries about oncoming car. The switchbacks are also on the steepest part of the climb as they really clung it to the vertical side of the mountain in that section. I've done it plenty of times with a 30' TT and a 35' FW.

Don't plan on stopping at Ceasars Head while you have the trailer in tow. It's still doable, but made a lot harder by the entrance way they installed a number of years ago. Besides, Ceasars Head is only a few miles back up from the campground so easy to run back up.

Because of where you are going, if you have the truck, 276 is probably the easiest way to get there from the upstate.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)