cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SoCal to North Central Washington: 395 or 95?

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hoping to head to the Washington Pass/Rainy Pass area, and then later to Marblemount and then Mt. Baker. I am tired of Interstate 5 -- crowded, hilly, and bad pavement.

I asked Google Maps, and I expected it would give me "395 all the way" as an option. Instead, it took me up 95 to 84 and then north from there on 395, with mileage and elapsed time pretty close to what I-5 would have been.

So that is my question -- for those who have travelled to and from Washington and Southern California, what is the best alternative to Interstate 5?

I know it is going to be hot (this will be in late August, I hope). And yes, it is just desert most of the way. (I like the desert -- DW not so much.) . Two-lane roads are a plus -- yes, they are less safe than the freeway, but more interesting!!

Thanks in advance for your wisdom.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
17 REPLIES 17

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
If you're bored with I-5, I would go the 395 route. It's new scenery and there are some great little towns along the way with unique food and shopping. Quite a few historic sites as well.

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
I've done them all a few times. I love 395, especially in Oregon but also in California. Lots and lots of sites to see and places to visit from old ghost towns, Mono Lake, John Day fossil beds, and so much more. But in Washington, not so much but the Hwy 14 along the Columbia is a great road and you could take that to 95 and then go north.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I did the I-15 thru UT for many years. 93 via E NV is kinda cool. 97 thru Bend OR is pretty. Nice dry camping at Rufus OR along the Columbia on the I-84.

I always found the drive thru the tri-cites of WA to get on 395 very confusing.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman