cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

streets&trips-Mexico

Hpymils
Explorer
Explorer
We have S&T on our lap top. Will it be of any use in Mexico? Should we put any S&T information on the lap top before we start out?
63 REPLIES 63

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
Last I checked Garmin had free shipping and 2 - 3 day delivery - and the owner's manual can be downloaded from their website online. I have looked and searched and found no better price on current Garmin devices. With any GPS we are always in learn as we go mode.

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks,
That'll be my next GPS. We're leaving in 2 weeks and there's no time to get one and learn how to use it. The Nuvi50LM will at least help me get from one place to another.

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
Our new 2757LM and others in that series also work with S&T.

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:
You have to have a Garmin Nuvi that can do routes. Several older and/or smaller models do not have that feature/ capability.

You should also know what the number of routes the unit can handle. I've had to clear routes out of my Nuvi 1490LMT to make room for a complicated route.

While I have an SD card in both my current Nuvi - I've never used it to transfer a .GPX file to the unit. I always connect via a USB cable and drop the .GPX file created by S&T into the folder on the unit like using a flash drive.

The Nuvi 50LM I have does not have the ability to have routes imported. Lord knows I've tried. I can export into the Nuvi, but the routes are not useable. Several Google searches confirm this.
Here is a recent list of Garmin products that can import routes from other sources (S&T, Base Camp):
nuvi 2200, 2300, 2400, 2405, 2505, 3400, 3500, or 3700 series, LIVE 1695, LIVE 2300 series, or a deal device

nuvi 465, 500, 700, 705, 800, 805, 1400, 1690, or 5000 series, or a zumo

Turtle-Toad
Explorer
Explorer
There is a lot of info links available for S&T just by clicking on HELP, then selecting STREETS AND TRIPS ON THE WEB (or typing W), then select TRAINING AND SUPPORT. Here you will find links to the S&T FORUM, BLOG, and LAPTOP GPS WORLD FORUM (the ones that BrianSue and I have been talking about.

Microsoft S&T developers monitor all of these sites and these sites are probably responsible for the majority of changes that make up the past and future revisions.

As to reporting errors in the current revision, you should be able to report them directly from S&T. Again go to HELP and select SEND MAP FEEDBACK. However, they have changed this feature and I can't get it to work right now. So I'm going to the websites listed in the first paragraph and see if anyone knows what's going on with the reporting function.

BrianSue,
It looks like others pretty much covered your questions for me. Except for the one about Larry and Marvin; and the answer to that is; I don't know, I haven't been on those sites recently. But I'm going there now so will look.
Turtle & Toad, On the Road
37' Georgetown XL w/3 slides, 1 1/2 bath, & 595 watts of solar power
06 Taco TRD (for "Off the Road")
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here
Only States/Provinces that I have spent at least a week in are shown

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Will visit the websites. Where is your tutorial?

I was vaguely aware of push pins and will try them.

Drag and Drop on a map: Point to a route, click (route color changes) and hold and drag to a new stop.

FYI I use S&T for basic planning and not as a GPS as I prefer the small compact Garmin. For the Alaska trip I also used S&T to get pictures of the route.

Thanks
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
briansue wrote:
I am not sure if this is a S&T error or a MAPTECH error.

My Garmin 1490 LMT tried to send me that way about two years ago.

Makes me wonder if there might be sold old highway dept info about a closure for a repair.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
AFAIK = As Far As I Know

Bob

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
I'd like to add the "label/text box" to stop 5.

Apparently this is not possible - what have I missed?

In my tutorial I explain how to use Pushpins to add a label to any specific location. You can turn Pushpins On/Off either as a group or individually. I do not know for sure how to explain it here as I use screen shots in the tutorial.

I also explain how to create a list of POI locations and use Import Data Wizard to create these locations on a map. You then have a whole list of locations with pushpins and labels - On/Off as you choose. You can make a stop using a Pushpin and then remove the stop but leave the Pushpin.

www.cartografiagps.com/mape32

Found the website. Costs $105. Apparently mostly for off road. Created to work with Garmin. Does not work with our Garmin. And our Garmin already has Mexico maps and all streets in most cities and small towns. I bought our Garmin complete with all of North America for $220 and free shipping from Garmin.

Yes I can drag and drop a route

Several people have mentioned Drag & Drop but this is something I have not yet discovered and have no idea what this would be or how you would do it. And yes it would be great to do this with Route Planner - and I would love to be able to do it with Lat Lon to Route Planner. Let's get on Laptop GPS World or Larry at . . . http://msstreets.com/ . . . his S&T Blog with these thoughts. I find lots of useful tips on both these websites. I once had Larry's email but was just looking and can't find it. Anyone out there have it?

At mile 64.1 a bug routes you off of I17. You can't avoid this by drag and drop or any other means AFAIK.

I also saw this error and tried to find a way to force it but it simply will not go. Interesting it only does this going south to north but not north to south. I have no idea what AFAIK is? I am not sure if this is a S&T error or a MAPTECH error. I am sure other errors exist and can only think that telling Larry would be the way to get some of them fixed.

THIS MAY BE LARRY'S EMAIL - streetsandtrips@hotmail.com

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Any insight into M&S 2013 bug fixes? For example set up a route from Phoenix, AZ to Flagstaff, AZ.

At mile 64.1 a bug routes you off of I17. You can't avoid this by drag and drop or any other means AFAIK.

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Another step: Yes I can drag and drop a route. But it's so limited, must be on the visible map since the map doesn't scroll and can't zoom and therefore can't select a detailed location stop.

So the drag and drop that would be helpful is drag and drop the stops in the Route Planner. Drag and drop a stop to change the stop order. Add a new detailed location stop and drag and drop it in the list.

Instead you have to move a stop one click at a time. Not a big deal with a few stops but with my 65 stop route last summer - painful.

Or did I miss something?

Bob

MM49
Explorer
Explorer
PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:
Turtle-Toad wrote:
My main complaint with S&T is that you cannot print just one days directions and map when you have a multi-day trip planned out. A lot of us on Laptop GPS world and the S&T blog have been asking for that function for years.

I started on something when my Garmin GPS couldn't handle the number of stops in a multi-day trip .GPX file.

After I get the route worked out - I save the master route.

Then break my trip down into a series of one-day trips. Save one for each day's travel.

Print / export those individually.

And if I decide on a change in route - I can do that on the individual day if I'm still planning the same start or end points.

A bit more cumbersome - but it works.

You can download them into avtive track memory, then save them. It will load the trackes into the base map. This way you will not voilate your point count. Just use the same name format as your active track file. Rename the track in the monitor in mapquest and save/download. I can save 8000 to 10,000 miles of tracks.
MM49

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle-Toad wrote:
My main complaint with S&T is that you cannot print just one days directions and map when you have a multi-day trip planned out. A lot of us on Laptop GPS world and the S&T blog have been asking for that function for years.

I started on something when my Garmin GPS couldn't handle the number of stops in a multi-day trip .GPX file.

After I get the route worked out - I save the master route.

Then break my trip down into a series of one-day trips. Save one for each day's travel.

Print / export those individually.

And if I decide on a change in route - I can do that on the individual day if I'm still planning the same start or end points.

A bit more cumbersome - but it works.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

MM49
Explorer
Explorer
Cartografia
briansue wrote:
You would be much better off getting Cartofina. It is a private label mapbase only offered in mexico. It has topo, but no routing. It is open fourm software.

Searched for Cartofina online and came up with nothing. Can you please provide how to find it? Is it a permanent download or must you be online? Does it detail all town and city streets accurately for GPS?

We need route maps and very rarely need topos. Does it show all the streets - just not able to create routes?

Where do we learn more? Thanks for the tip.

www.cartografiagps.com/mape32

Cartografia Demo

I use a copy of this software all the time. There is so much growth in Mexico that a lot of the new highways are not on it.

MM49