Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texas to Washington State

MerryLynn
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,
I'm an RV newbie and have been living in my RV for the past month. I had planned stay in Texas for the winter, but my situation changed and now I'm moving to the coast of Washington State. I'm leaving in late October and taking the trip slow; planning to drive about 300 miles a day for a total of 10 days. I'm towing a 20-foot Rockwood Mini Lite travel trailer with a 2018 Toyota Sequoia.

To avoid the winter weather likely on the most direct route, I plan to take Interstate 40 to California and then head north on Hwy 101.

Can you see any potential problems with this route? Any areas I need to avoid? (Note: I've already removed California's restricted routes from my plan)

Thanks in advance for your help!
Merry
19 REPLIES 19

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Be prepared for freezing temperatures....antifreeze etc...but it should be a great drive.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
We've been over most of the roads mentioned so far in this thread and Islandman's suggestion sounds the best to me for avoiding weather conditions and tough grades.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
I'd work my way over towards Bakersfield, then north up towards Sacramento and then a little farther north, take CA 20 over to Clear Lake and then west to US 101. Follow US 101 all the way up thru OR (some nice CG's along the way) and then crossing into WA. Next route depends on where you're heading in WA. Either work your way over to Olympia and then up I-5, or if you're going to the coastal area, stay on US 101. If you're going up to the NW part of WA, then catch WA 20 which is west of Port Townsend and take it over to wherever you may need to go. Big thing about I-5 is that you need to plan on driving thru Seattle area between 10 and 2 to avoid heavy commuter traffic, Sunday is the best day unless there is a football game. Have a good trip!

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Weather-----Weather --- Weather,, You may luck out, I-40 to 25 to I-80- I-84 -I-90
Well traveled route, Even I-5 may have snow and hazardous conditions.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

dedmiston
The 101 is definitely prettier than I-5.

Going up I-5, you would need to cross the Grapevine, which is a tough tow.

If you take the 101, you'll have a big grade after you get out of L.A. before you get to Canejo and another one after San Luis Obispo (the Cuesta Grade). There's also a small grade between those two in Gaviota. Don't let your nav send you over the San Marcos Pass. You'll hate it and everyone on the road will hate you. It only shaves 20 minutes off the drive for a passenger car--not worth it.

You can avoid the Canejo pass if you're coming in on the 10 by taking 210 > 118 > 23 > 101. This avoids a lot of city traffic too.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230